Mar 1, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
You can get straight-up baseball analysis anywhere, but only a handful of websites ask the things I really want to know. Questions like, “if Omar Minaya were a character from ‘The Wire,’ who would he be?”
You know who I think it is, it’s Pryzbylewski.
Prezbo is clearly a guy, like Omar as a GM, who is thrown into a
certain situation. Prezbo was in the police department where everything
lines up for him to be there, but maybe it’s not the best situation for
him. Like Prezbo was better off at school, maybe Minaya should be on
the sidelines as a scout–head of scouting–because he gets a deer in the
headlights look as GM. He makes some silly signings, like Prezbo shoots
a cop accidentally. I think that’s it. That’s my on the spot answer.
Of course Prezbo went on to be a competent teacher, and I’m struggling to think what Omar would do in civilian life as it were.
But it’s an interesting question, not just for Minaya, but for other baseball figures as well. Jay at Fack Youk — who tipped me to the above — thinks that Minaya is more of a Herc figure. I think that works better. He also thinks that Brian Cashman is Stringer Bell. There’s merit to that too.
I’ll add a couple: I imagine we can all agree that Scott Boras is Clay Davis: totally full of crap and shady as hell, but basically bulletproof as he rakes in the dough. Tony La Russa is Bunny Colvin: the cop who legalized drugs on his beat, realized great success as a result, but had a lot of heat come down later.
I’m sure you guys can think of some other examples.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)