Mar 1, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
You can get straight-up baseball analysis anywhere, but only a handful of websites ask the things I really want to know. Questions like, “if Omar Minaya were a character from ‘The Wire,’ who would he be?”
You know who I think it is, it’s Pryzbylewski.
Prezbo is clearly a guy, like Omar as a GM, who is thrown into a
certain situation. Prezbo was in the police department where everything
lines up for him to be there, but maybe it’s not the best situation for
him. Like Prezbo was better off at school, maybe Minaya should be on
the sidelines as a scout–head of scouting–because he gets a deer in the
headlights look as GM. He makes some silly signings, like Prezbo shoots
a cop accidentally. I think that’s it. That’s my on the spot answer.
Of course Prezbo went on to be a competent teacher, and I’m struggling to think what Omar would do in civilian life as it were.
But it’s an interesting question, not just for Minaya, but for other baseball figures as well. Jay at Fack Youk — who tipped me to the above — thinks that Minaya is more of a Herc figure. I think that works better. He also thinks that Brian Cashman is Stringer Bell. There’s merit to that too.
I’ll add a couple: I imagine we can all agree that Scott Boras is Clay Davis: totally full of crap and shady as hell, but basically bulletproof as he rakes in the dough. Tony La Russa is Bunny Colvin: the cop who legalized drugs on his beat, realized great success as a result, but had a lot of heat come down later.
I’m sure you guys can think of some other examples.
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 20
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 16
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)