Mar 1, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
You can get straight-up baseball analysis anywhere, but only a handful of websites ask the things I really want to know. Questions like, “if Omar Minaya were a character from ‘The Wire,’ who would he be?”
You know who I think it is, it’s Pryzbylewski.
Prezbo is clearly a guy, like Omar as a GM, who is thrown into a
certain situation. Prezbo was in the police department where everything
lines up for him to be there, but maybe it’s not the best situation for
him. Like Prezbo was better off at school, maybe Minaya should be on
the sidelines as a scout–head of scouting–because he gets a deer in the
headlights look as GM. He makes some silly signings, like Prezbo shoots
a cop accidentally. I think that’s it. That’s my on the spot answer.
Of course Prezbo went on to be a competent teacher, and I’m struggling to think what Omar would do in civilian life as it were.
But it’s an interesting question, not just for Minaya, but for other baseball figures as well. Jay at Fack Youk — who tipped me to the above — thinks that Minaya is more of a Herc figure. I think that works better. He also thinks that Brian Cashman is Stringer Bell. There’s merit to that too.
I’ll add a couple: I imagine we can all agree that Scott Boras is Clay Davis: totally full of crap and shady as hell, but basically bulletproof as he rakes in the dough. Tony La Russa is Bunny Colvin: the cop who legalized drugs on his beat, realized great success as a result, but had a lot of heat come down later.
I’m sure you guys can think of some other examples.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 39
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)