Mar 1, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
You can get straight-up baseball analysis anywhere, but only a handful of websites ask the things I really want to know. Questions like, “if Omar Minaya were a character from ‘The Wire,’ who would he be?”
You know who I think it is, it’s Pryzbylewski.
Prezbo is clearly a guy, like Omar as a GM, who is thrown into a
certain situation. Prezbo was in the police department where everything
lines up for him to be there, but maybe it’s not the best situation for
him. Like Prezbo was better off at school, maybe Minaya should be on
the sidelines as a scout–head of scouting–because he gets a deer in the
headlights look as GM. He makes some silly signings, like Prezbo shoots
a cop accidentally. I think that’s it. That’s my on the spot answer.
Of course Prezbo went on to be a competent teacher, and I’m struggling to think what Omar would do in civilian life as it were.
But it’s an interesting question, not just for Minaya, but for other baseball figures as well. Jay at Fack Youk — who tipped me to the above — thinks that Minaya is more of a Herc figure. I think that works better. He also thinks that Brian Cashman is Stringer Bell. There’s merit to that too.
I’ll add a couple: I imagine we can all agree that Scott Boras is Clay Davis: totally full of crap and shady as hell, but basically bulletproof as he rakes in the dough. Tony La Russa is Bunny Colvin: the cop who legalized drugs on his beat, realized great success as a result, but had a lot of heat come down later.
I’m sure you guys can think of some other examples.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)