Mar 1, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski starts out his latest column — a transcript of the ramblings of some scout he knows — by saying “Call him Scout X. Big league lifer. One of the best in the business. Has forgotten more about baseball than you and I will ever know.” Of course, Wojciechowski’s writing suggests he doesn’t know all that much about baseball, so that’s no big trick. But I’ll let you be the judge. Woj’s scout says this:
I don’t pay to see game, but if I had to, I’d pay to see Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain of the San Francisco Giants. But if you give me the choice between Lincecum and Cain, I’ll take Cain for the next six, seven years. Cain
can really pitch, man. Lincecum, he’s a freak. He weighs 160 or so
pounds. He’s a max-effort guy with a bad delivery. Don’t get me wrong
— he punched out 261 guys last year and he might pitch forever. But
it’s just that Cain pitches with such ease. He won 14 games last year
with a 2.89 ERA. Lincecum won 15 with a 2.48. See what I’m saying?
All I see is that he’s (a) overvaluing wins; and (b) living about 10 years in the past when it comes to analyzing pitching mechanics, because people who know about this stuff don’t worry too much about Lincecum’s mechanics.
But if he wants to join the fantasy league in which I own Matt Cain, I’d be more than happy to do some trades with him.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)