Announcing ProHockeyTalk

Mar 2, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT

Youngblood.jpgThe world is a funny place. After years of thinking you know someone, you wake up one day to find out that they actually like hockey. That’s what happened over the weekend, as all sorts of people I once considered to be respectable were asking me whether I was watching the USA-Canada game, telling me that their heart skipped a beat when the U.S. tied it up to send it into overtime and all that jazz. It’s much like the way everyone I knew suddenly liked curling a couple of weeks ago, only this time it was without any apparent irony.

Well, it’s time for these folks to put their mouse clicks where their mouth is, as we’ve launched ProHockeyTalk (RSS! Twitter!).  Emceed by Brandon Worley, PHT will provide you with all the NHL news, rumors, insight, analysis, “Slap Shot” references and poutine you could possibly want, all in one convenient location.  You should totally check it out. I’m a huge Cleveland Barons fan, so I’ll definitely be reading.  Johnny Damon and Scott Boras will be clicking there every day too. They LOVE octopus.

In other news, ProCurlingTalk’s launch — originally scheduled for next week — is going to be delayed. Some squatter owns that URL and he’s being a real jerk in negotiations. I’ll give you the heads up.

1. Grant - Mar 2, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I have had the same experience with the recent resurgence of the Caps. All my friends back home in Greater DC are suddenly huge fans, when no one cared about Hockey (or, really, anything but the Redskins and maybe Georgetown and/or Maryland hoops) before. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

I guess a good bandwagon is too hard to resist. I myself still think hockey is baffling and that man was not meant to travel over something as slippery and unstable as ice, but what do I know?

2. Charles Gates - Mar 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I heart curling, and Cheryl Bernard.

3. Matt - Mar 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM

A lot of it has to do with DC not having anything to cheer for anymore.
    I hate all the bandwagon Caps fans with a fire of 1000 suns, but all owners should be like Ted Leonsis instead of Dan Snyder. Weird how Washington has the two polar opposites of possible ownership in the same city.
    Oh and mmmmmmm, poutine.

4. Brian - Mar 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I remember living in DC when the Caps went to the finals against the Red Wings in 98. To commemorate the occasion, the Washington Post ran a special part of the sports section called “Understanding Hockey” to explain the rules. So I think it’s safe to say DC isn’t a big hockey town.

5. Grant - Mar 2, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I’m sure you’re right. Being a Redskins fan is a soul-crushing experience, and Leonsis does seem to b e a great owner. But it is in no way a hockey town and it is weird to see it pretending to be.

KSK had a good post up yesterday (I think from Christmas Ape) parodying this trend. It basically had two guys from the DC area discussing how awesome hockey was but continually lapsing back into talking about the skins. Because that will probably always be a football town, no matter what evil Dan Snyder visits upon his customers. http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2010/03/welcoming-the-post-olympics-hockey-hegemony.html

6. TimberLee - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM

This eats into a couple of national stereotypes. I was at home (Canada), looking over my recently-arrived Strat-O-Matic baseball cards, when my cousin phoned from the Washington,DC, area to “talk smack” about the goal that had just tied up the gold medal hockey game. I wasn’t aware that they even knew how many innings there are in an ice hockey match.

7. IdahoMariner - Mar 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I second that — Cheryl Bernard rocks!

8. Stone - Mar 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM

In what will become either the shortest lived or least trafficked sister site in the Pro ” insert sport here” pantheon of NBC blogs.

9. Michael - Mar 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I tend to like the sports that the frustrated jock sportswriters dislike: hockey, soccer, and baseball. Chalk it up to growing up in a place where high school football/basketball weren’t the local religion.
    The NHL was already on the road to overtaking the NBA in attendance (they’re probably already ahead in profitability), and hopefully that game will inspire a new batch of fans.

10. Fuzzball the Magnificent - Mar 2, 2010 at 5:32 PM

The Cleveland Barons! Gilles Meloche! Dennis Maruk! The Mid-America Coliseum (in the middle of nowhere)! Now that was entertainment!

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3401)