Mar 2, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
Andrew Baggarly wonders if and when Barry Bonds will return to the Giants’ fold and impart some of his hitting knowledge:
Like McGwire, Bonds’ public
image as a steroid cheat probably is beyond rehabilitation. But many
players past and present continue to hold Bonds’ hitting intelligence,
vision and discipline in the highest esteem. They marvel at his ability
to entrap a pitcher and barrel up the slightest mistake. They rank his
hitting acumen in the highest tier with men like Ted Williams and Tony
Bonds might be a hitting Einstein to McGwire’s fifth-grade science teacher.
Yeah, but at least my fifth grade science teacher was able to explain photosynthesis and the Doppler effect and stuff to me in basic terms. After struggling to think of how to dumb-down his copious brilliance to my level for an hour, Einstein would probably retreat to the teacher’s lounge for a smoke.
But based on what we’ve heard about him, Einstein would be a better communicator than Bonds, even if he spoke in his native German. And really, how do you teach Bonds’ batting eye, which was his greatest gift as a hitter? “Schierholtz! Do it again, and this time recognize it as a ball! I could tell that from over here!”
Bonds may be the greatest hitter of my lifetime, but not everyone can teach, and in this capacity I get the sense that Bonds is not everyoner than most people.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 30
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 79
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (103)