Brothers love San Diego

Mar 2, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT

In an article about Padre teammates Jerry and Scott Hairston, Jerry Crasnick notes that baseball brothers tend to unite in San Diego:

Roberto and Sandy Alomar Jr. were teammates in the late 1980s, and Tony
and Chris Gwynn played together for the Padres’ NL West title team in
1996. In recent years, Trevor and Glenn Hoffman (a Padres coach), Brian and Marcus Giles and Adrian and Edgar Gonzalez have worn the team’s uniform and perpetuated the tradition.

Know what? My brother lives in San Diego. I hereby demand a trade to the Padres so that we can hang out more.

1. YankeesfanLen - Mar 2, 2010 at 1:41 PM

San Diego is a CBS market, guess you’re SOL.

2. Jonny5 - Mar 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Craig ,”F” the Padres story!! The story about your bro on the other hand was quite heartwarming. It almost makes me want to smack you for talking all that trash on baseball cards lately to be honest. If baseball cards and what they meant to 2 brothers when they were young, can remind those same two men how they feel about eachother today… Well they’re OK in my book. Have you ever been able to top that gift you got from your brother btw???

3. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I still love the old cards, Jonny. It’s the new ones I can’t abide. And the dealers who sell both old and new. The old cards themselves, though, magic. At least to me.
    And no, I haven’t topped that gift. Don’t know that I’ll be able to.

4. chicagojoel - Mar 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM

The Padres have Scott and Jerry Hairston for 2010 as well.

5. IdahoMariner - Mar 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM

wow. I feel like such a dork for always commenting on your stuff — but that blog about your brother was amazing.

6. Jesus - Mar 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Jerald and Phil Clark, Greg and Mike Maddux, and Melvin and Wilbert Nieves are brothers that all played for the Padres though not during the same yaer.

7. Luigi Fulk - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM

great site loads of info, and it helped me a lot, so i thought i might aswell drop ac comment i like your work here, you can find me over at Bontrade so just drop me a pm if need be.

Three legends off to Cooperstown