Mar 2, 2010, 8:50 PM EST
A league source tells SI.com that a settlement has been reached between Hendricks Sports Management and Athletes Premier International (API) in regards to Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman.
Edwin Mejia, the president of API, filed a suit against Hendricks Sports Management in Massachusetts Superior Court last December after Chapman jumped ship, claiming that the Hendricks’ brothers provided Chapman “with numerous improper enticements to induce and terminate his contract and relationship with Athletes Premier and Mejia.”
Chapman inked a five-year, $30 million contract with the Reds in January after joining with more-established Hendricks’ brothers. We can only speculate that Mejia requested millions in damages.
While the battle with Mejia and API appears to be over, Rodney Fernandez, a former employee of Hendricks Sports Management, is still under investigation to determine whether he played a part in more than $300,000 missing from the bank account of Angels first baseman Kendry Morales. Fernandez, who played a significant part in bringing Morales and Chapman to Hendricks Sports Management, told Jorge Arangure Jr. of ESPN.com that whatever money he took from Morales’ account was done with the approval of co-founders Alan and Randy Hendricks. Morales left Hendricks Sports Management for Scott Boras last month upon learning about the missing cash.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)