Mar 2, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The Mets started off the Grapefruit League schedule with a 4-2 win, but it was the young Braves that stole the show Tuesday in the first game of the spring season. Tommy Hanson started and struck out three in two scoreless innings for Atlanta, while Jason Heyward, batting third and playing right field, walked twice and delivered a hard single through the right side of the infield in his three plate appearances.
Some notes from the game:
- The Mets scratched David Wright, Jose Reyes, Jason Bay, Jeff Francoeur and Luis Castillo from the starting lineup because of a rain shower that ended about an hour and a half before the game started. If that’s acting a little gun shy, well, it’s rather hard to blame them.
- Of course, the Mets did suffer the first injury in an exhibition game anyway. Elmer Dessens, the team’s second pitcher in, limped off the field in the third after taking a comebacker off his leg.
- In addition to reaching all three times up, Heyward had a steal of third base and an advancement to second on a wild pitch that he got a very good read on. The 20-year-old doesn’t need to hit 450-foot homers in order to impress.
- Kris Medlen, who was terrific in middle relief during the second half of last season, followed Hanson in the third and also pitched two scoreless innings. He may not get any starts this spring, but the Braves will want to keep him rather stretched out in case Jair Jurrjens has a setback or another starter goes down.
- Mets non-roster invite Russ Adams had the first homer of the spring, a solo shot off Chris Resop in the eighth that concluded the scoring for the day.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (234)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (106)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)