Mar 2, 2010, 12:20 PM EST
Bad news for Houston, as Lance Berkman was held out of today’s workout because of what the team is calling a “bruised” knee. He didn’t bang it, but there is swelling and discomfort, which Berkman thinks he might have done while running the bases.
The team isn’t concerned, but Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll — not a doctor, but very knowledgeable about sports injuries all the same — says that a “bruise” absent any trauma suggests an arthritic problem.
It’s obviously way too early to tell if this is truly serious or if he’ll miss any real time. But injuries to Berkman may be less important to the Astros from a can-he-play perspective this season than they are from a can-we-trade-him perspective, what with him in a walk a year and the Astros showing no real intention to sign him to an extension, and the prospect of some chronic knee problem could hurt his trade value, even if he manages to suit up for Houston.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)