Selig on the Galea investigation: nothin' to worry about

Mar 2, 2010, 9:53 AM EDT

Bud Selig was just on the Mike & Mike show, and covered a couple of topics:

• Greenberg asked him if he had any advice for Roger Goodell and the NFL as they wade into labor hell. Selig dodged the question with some talk about how all leagues and businesses have to deal with this stuff from time to time. I may be imagining the suppressed schadenfreude-inspired chortle. He did add, however — referring to the 1994-95 strike — that “I don’t think any of us at the time understood just how much the work stoppage hurt the sport.”  Which is the closest he’s ever going to come to an apology, I presume;
  • Asked about the Dr. Galea investigation that has led to Jose Reyes and now Alex Rodriguez being questioned by the feds, Selig said “I don’t think there’s a great deal to worry about.” Given that the man is incapable of ordering a sandwich without three qualifiers and four dependent clauses, I take that as pretty strong evidence that there’s really nothing there as far as baseball is concerned;
  • Jayson Stark asked Mike & Mike to ask Selig whether, in light of the success of Olympic hockey, baseball would reconsider its stance on stopping the season to send major leaguers to the Summer Olympics in the event baseball is reinstated as an event, Selig gave an unequivocal no, citing that length of the season is already a problem, and saying that “telling our fans we’re going away for two weeks in not pragmatically possible.”

Good on Bud for that last answer.  Between the winter leagues, the WBC and the increasingly diverse pool of players in Major League Baseball, the sport is pretty damn international already. The game isn’t appreciated in countries that don’t already play it, and Olympic exposure does virtually nothing to enhance the sport.  If I were commissioner I’d put baseball back in Olympic Stadium before I’d put it back in the Olympics.

Oh, one final note: Selig said that he had heard Stark ask that question earlier in the show “while I was working out.”  Mental picture of the day: Bud Selig in some tight Under Armor, sweating and pumping iron while a highly paid personal trainer says “PUSH IT BUD!!!”

You’re welcome.

1. YX - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for ruining my morning snack.

2. Bill@TDS - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The full quote (from short-term memory, re-aired on XM just now):
    “At this point in time — and I say this with a great deal of trepidation, because obviously we don’t have all the facts yet — but I don’t think there’s a great deal to worry about.” Not quite up to Selig’s number-of-meaning-destroying-qualifiers standards, but there were still some qualifiers.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I must have just mentally tuned-out those qualifiers while waiting for his answer.

4. michael standish - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I’m disappointed that you were unable to work Kate Smith into an (admittedly) already grotesque fantasy.

5. Stan - Mar 2, 2010 at 12:01 PM

It angers me that professional sports feel that they should be treated diffently when it comes to drug testing. In most industries passing a drug test is a condition for employment. It should be no different for sports industry. Also what is the point of testing only minor leaguers for HGH; is baseball afraid to test the major league for fear that many will test positive. It time for all sports to impose drug test no matter the consequence. Let’s clean up the sports once and for all.

6. YANKEES1996 - Mar 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Stan, excellent idea, we will need a new Commissioner to start with, who shall it be?

7. Joey B - Mar 2, 2010 at 2:08 PM

“”At this point in time — and I say this with a great deal of trepidation, because obviously we don’t have all the facts yet — but I don’t think there’s a great deal to worry about.” Not quite up to Selig’s number-of-meaning-destroying-qualifiers standards, but there were still some qualifiers.”
    It’s MLB. It almost goes without saying that there is something to worry about. It’s the nature of BB. The other sports are pro-active. BB will watch people being hauled away by the FBI and still claim everything is under control.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2860)