Yoshida meets Wakefield

Mar 2, 2010, 9:10 AM EST

Japanese female knuckleballer Eri Yoshida met her idol, Tim Wakefield. I’m guessing yesterday, but since I can’t read the website on which the picture appears I have no way of knowing.  Nice pic, though.

I’m guessing Wakefield is married, but if not, we should get those two together.  They would have the craftiest children.

(link via NPB Tracker)

1. John from Concord - Mar 2, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Wakefield is in fact married… and he really doesn’t seem to be the foolin’ around type.

2. Jamie - Mar 2, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I have to imagine that’s the first time anyone has ever typed the words “her idol, Tim Wakefield”.

3. KR - Mar 2, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Also the words “[professional baseball player] doesn’t seem to be the foolin’ around type”.

4. d - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM

that link does bring up the picture, but then it reverts to one of those “your computer is infected” scams… beware.

5. The Common Man - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Isn’t she, like, 16? Ew.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I don’t think the site has a problem. It’s in Japanese, and I’ve found that Japanese characters — even on regular news sites — often set off virus protection programs.

7. Ralph Kramden - Mar 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM

ProJo article (English) here:

8. Steve B. - Mar 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I’ve been just really, really happy about the tone of almost all blogosphere coverage (and even comments *gasp*) about Eri Yoshida. Sixty or something years ago, a girl’s interest in playing baseball was met with the spectre of unladylike behavior and stifled pretty universally. Now a girl meets with some success and gets special opportunities and encouragement from the media and the people she wants to play like. Despite what radicals on both sides will tell you, we have indeed made progress in this regard and it is indeed a welcome thing.
    Most of the people she’s playing against are a lot older than she is (25 year old ex-college players and stuff), and she’s not embarrassing herself.
    That’s a 1.74 WHIP but prior to her last two outings (both bad, both last week) it was 0.96. I don’t have enough knowledge to say that being sort-of-acceptable in the Golden Baseball League at age 18 gives her any sort of relevant career trajectory, but we have to agree that she must be good enough to get a baseball scholarship to an American school, and is probably good enough to play at the minor league level for several years.

9. TF in Tampa - Mar 3, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Craig FYI:
    As I clicked on to see the picture of Eri and Tim yesterday, I also received a warning about a virus about to enter my computer and in trying to click out of receiving the pic, a virus has definitely entered and infected my system.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5118)