Adrian Beltre is friggin' nuts

Mar 3, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT

Beltre legs crossed.jpgYeah, maybe that’s in bad taste given his injury last year, but when you go through that kind of nightmare and still continue to act irrationally you’re not going to get much sensitivity from me:

Seattle manager Don Wakamatsu insisted Beltre wear a cup when he came back from the injury. It didn’t last long.

“I
wore it for a couple of days so they think I’m wearing it,” said
Beltre. “After that I stopped. At the end of the year, I was back to
natural.”

But why on Earth would he go back to the hot corner without protection?

“That’s
a good question,” Beltre said. “I don’t know yet. I’m going to try it
in spring training and see how it goes. I should, but it just doesn’t
seem comfortable. I tried to wear it before, but I just don’t feel
right. It just isn’t comfortable . . . They say I’m crazy not to wear the cup. But I say, if the ball’s going
to hit me there every 11 1/2 years, I’ll take my chances.”

1. Josh Fisher - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM

What early-to-mid-90’s Cincinnati Red (I think) suffered a similar injury, and then finally chose to wear a cup, only to be knocking the thing incessantly? I gave a speech on this in high school (the knocking on it part, not the…other part). And for the life of me, I can’t remember who this was.
    Josh

2. OldNo7 - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Plaxico Burress had a similar comfort/safety dilemma: holster or sweatpants?

3. Keith A - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Sheesh. I guess that’s why you get two.

4. YANKEES1996 - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Is this immense bravery and confidence or pure lunacy? Most people would think that being injured like he was would be enough motivation to forego the comfort issue.

5. Charles Gates - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

In a related story, the Boston grounds keepers have devoted significant resources to smoothing out the left side of the Fenway infield.

6. Big Harold - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:27 PM

“Show of hands: how many of you would take a traumatic testicle injury every decade or so in exchange for being a tad more comfortable on a day to day basis?”
    I would but I’m 50 years old with three kids and I’m steadfastly looking to avoid having any more.
    Actually I do understand his point of view. I did in fact play two years of HS football and never wore a cup. I couldn’t run in them.

7. MarkH - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM

If the question is actually, “Would you risk the minuscule chance of taking one in the jewels on every ground ball, rather than constantly wearing a cup so uncomfortable that you began to wonder if it was worth it to protect you from the aforementioned minuscule chance” — which I imagine was more or less Beltre’s thought process — then yes, I’d take that “chance” too.

8. HP3 - Mar 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Two words -“Nutty Buddy”

9. Cleareye - Mar 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Seems to me the cup should be modernized. It’s the same design from 50 years ago.

10. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 3, 2010 at 3:07 PM

To be fair, the nutsack hasn’t been redesigned in that time either.

11. Stone - Mar 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Is it the chance of getting beaned in the nuts or is it a guarantee that you will be beaned in the nuts? I would take the chance for sure but the guarantee would give me real pause.

12. Old Gator - Mar 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM

This may be an apocryphal story, Craig, but I think I heard once – and it might well have been from my dad’s late buddy Eric Blau, too, but I’m not sure – that Yogi Berra once caught a foul ball off the plate right in the huevos and reportedly described it as “a cross between the fear of death and the fear of not dying.” That…er…ring any bells?

13. Flup - Mar 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Also worth considering is how much I’d be paid to take the risk of the very rare nutcracker, and if wearing a cup might lead to less pay, which is also probably part of Beltre’s thought process.

14. JoeD - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Steroid use can shrink your testicles too but that didn’t stop players from using them.

15. Old Gator - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:59 PM

It’s true. A-Rod clearly continued to use his testicles regardless.

16. Richard Gadsden - Mar 4, 2010 at 12:14 PM

To be fair, the foot hasn’t changed much in that period, but shoes certainly have.
    I’m surprised that none of the sports-equipment manufacturers have tried to redesign it in all those years, but if he’s having real trouble, he could try a box instead (boxes are made for cricketers, who get hit in that location a lot more often than baseballers).

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3506)