Mar 3, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
Seattle manager Don Wakamatsu insisted Beltre wear a cup when he came back from the injury. It didn’t last long.
wore it for a couple of days so they think I’m wearing it,” said
Beltre. “After that I stopped. At the end of the year, I was back to
But why on Earth would he go back to the hot corner without protection?
a good question,” Beltre said. “I don’t know yet. I’m going to try it
in spring training and see how it goes. I should, but it just doesn’t
seem comfortable. I tried to wear it before, but I just don’t feel
right. It just isn’t comfortable . . . They say I’m crazy not to wear the cup. But I say, if the ball’s going
to hit me there every 11 1/2 years, I’ll take my chances.”
Show of hands: how many of you would take a traumatic testicle injury every decade or so in exchange for being a tad more comfortable on a day to day basis?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)