Mar 3, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
The title kind of said it all, but that was Jones’ quote after today’s game against the Mets: “I will be shocked if he doesn’t break camp with us.”
Everyone who has watched his two games against the Mets so far is raving. He’s hit the ball hard. He scored from second base on an infield grounder today. Spring training stats mean close to nothing, but if you believe in such things he’s got a single a double and three walks in six plate appearances.
For what it’s worth, Ed Price of AOL tweets that the last 20 year-old to get 400 plate appearances after playing in 50 or fewer games above A-ball: fellow by the name of Ken Griffey Jr. in 1989.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)