David Ortiz wants to play 3-4 more years for the Red Sox

Mar 3, 2010, 11:20 AM EST

Can I take the under?

The Red Sox know what I am, even knowing what happened last year, I’m a
guy that, I put a lot of enthusiasm into what I do. And it’s up to
them. I’m trying to say that I would like to end my career here, I
would like to play three, four more years, and I would like to finish
that with the Red Sox. It’s up to them. I can’t control that.

Thing is, the Red Sox are the team that probably puts less emphasis on things like enthusiasm than anyone else.  If Ortiz puts up a strong season in 2010 — and the baseline for that is something better than his 2008 line of .264/.369/.507, which he didn’t touch last year — and if he is willing to take what will amount to a massive pay cut than, yes, the Sox may consider bringing him back after his contract expires.

If I were a betting man, however, I’d wager that 2010 will be Papi’s last season in Boston.

1. ditmars1929 - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

He’s toast.

2. Big Harold - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Unless he starts hitting the ball like it’s 2007 again, I have a better chance playing for the RS for the next 3 or 4 years. And, just for the record Ortiz returning to form is not likely. Milk shakes aside, he’s older and he doesn’t have anybody protecting him in the line up.
    And, lets not forget that Gorilla Boy is a little on the ruthless side when it comes to aging and fading Red Sox stars. With the exception of Capt Sucker Punch, who was the last aging star to make it to the end of his career as a Red Sox? Pedro? Nah. Nomar? Nah. Mueller, No not him either. Pack your bag Big Poppi , .. maybe the Rays will take a chance on you when Burell is gone.

3. YankeesfanLen - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Would like nothing better than Big Papi on the Sux for another 3-4 years. Or 7.

4. YX - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:51 PM

He had two horrendous months last year to start the season, but the months after that are solid at least. If he can keep at that level for whole season I could see BoSox pick up the option unless they somehow lands Adrian Gonzalez or similar.

5. d - Mar 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM

They definately won’t excersise his option. He’s lost his plate discipline as well (the guys at fangraphs did a good piece on it), so his value won’t be very high. Many DH types out there as well every year. If he wants a contract with anyone, he’s going to have to start strong and stay that way.

6. JBerardi - Mar 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM

“I’m trying to say that I would like to end my career here, I would like to play three, four more years, and I would like to finish that with the Red Sox.”
    I hate to break it to you, David, but the market for DHs being what it is, you could very well end your career in Boston even without an extension.

7. Aries - Mar 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Curt Schilling’s name comes to mind. Tim Wakefield too. You might even count Mike Timlin in there as well.

8. ClementeLegend - Mar 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Another reason why Len is a gigantic Yankee homer.
    He says quaint, small-minded things like “Sux”.
    How cute.

9. ber - Mar 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Wow! you’re good. You were able to tell from YankeesfanLen’s comment that he’s a Yankee homer. His name didn’t give it away at all, did it?

10. AJ Gallo - Mar 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM

And, of course, not at all like some of the “quaint, small-minded things” some Red Sox fans have said. Have you seen some of the disgusting, foul and obscene tee shirts worn by some Boston fans at their games? I guess those don’t warrant mention in your criticism. Well, I’ll do it…….Yankee fans aren’t any group of angels, especially with their intense dislike of the Red Sox and their fans. But how about a little even-handed criticism? The Red Sox fans aren’t exactly a bunch of St. Jude’s either……………

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6234)