Mar 3, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
FanGraph’s R.J. Anderson wonders if Eric Hinske won’t work his magic once again and persuade Jason Heyward to sign an uber-team-friendly contract with the Braves. It was Hinske, you’ll recall who did that with Evan Longoria, famously telling the young stud not to pass up his first shot at money and leading him to sign a six-year, $17.5M extension with the Rays that already makes him the cheapest superstar in the game and will only get more ridiculously team-friendly as time goes on.
As a selfish Braves fan I’d love to see Heyward sign, say, a 15-year, $15 million deal. As a generally pro-player fellow who likes to see guys get paid what they’re worth, I hope that Heyward stays the heck away from Hinske.
Not that there aren’t other reasons to stay away from him . . .
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (216)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)