Mar 3, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
FanGraph’s R.J. Anderson wonders if Eric Hinske won’t work his magic once again and persuade Jason Heyward to sign an uber-team-friendly contract with the Braves. It was Hinske, you’ll recall who did that with Evan Longoria, famously telling the young stud not to pass up his first shot at money and leading him to sign a six-year, $17.5M extension with the Rays that already makes him the cheapest superstar in the game and will only get more ridiculously team-friendly as time goes on.
As a selfish Braves fan I’d love to see Heyward sign, say, a 15-year, $15 million deal. As a generally pro-player fellow who likes to see guys get paid what they’re worth, I hope that Heyward stays the heck away from Hinske.
Not that there aren’t other reasons to stay away from him . . .
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 3
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)