Mar 3, 2010, 3:47 PM EST
Lou Piniella has recently begun referring to Kosuke Fukudome as “The Fook,” which I think is absolutely fantastic. Asked how he came up with the new nickname, the manager replied: “I like the name. It’s easy to say.”
Through his interpreter Fukudome signed off on the nickname and then Piniella talked about his expectations for the third-year outfielder:
We think Fukudome is gonna have a good year. It’s a learning process, and compound that with a new country. It takes a while, but now he’s passed his freshman and sophomore years. He’s a junior now and ready to go. Let’s hope he has a nice breakout year, .280 or .285, drive in 70 or 80 runs. I don’t care about power numbers. On-base percentage, getting on base, driving in some runs, handle the bat … the power numbers will take care of itself.
Fukudome will likely begin the season platooning with Xavier Nady in right field, and while “driving in 70 or 80 runs” may prove difficult while sitting out a couple games per week, playing almost exclusively against right-handed pitching should do wonders for his rate stats.
The Fook is a .262/.372/.417 career hitter versus right-handers compared to just .242/.343/.324 versus southpaws. However, if Fukudome goes into another one of his extended slumps Piniella probably won’t hesitate to bench him and give Nady a bunch of starts against righties too.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)