Mar 3, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Lou Piniella has recently begun referring to Kosuke Fukudome as “The Fook,” which I think is absolutely fantastic. Asked how he came up with the new nickname, the manager replied: “I like the name. It’s easy to say.”
Through his interpreter Fukudome signed off on the nickname and then Piniella talked about his expectations for the third-year outfielder:
We think Fukudome is gonna have a good year. It’s a learning process, and compound that with a new country. It takes a while, but now he’s passed his freshman and sophomore years. He’s a junior now and ready to go. Let’s hope he has a nice breakout year, .280 or .285, drive in 70 or 80 runs. I don’t care about power numbers. On-base percentage, getting on base, driving in some runs, handle the bat … the power numbers will take care of itself.
Fukudome will likely begin the season platooning with Xavier Nady in right field, and while “driving in 70 or 80 runs” may prove difficult while sitting out a couple games per week, playing almost exclusively against right-handed pitching should do wonders for his rate stats.
The Fook is a .262/.372/.417 career hitter versus right-handers compared to just .242/.343/.324 versus southpaws. However, if Fukudome goes into another one of his extended slumps Piniella probably won’t hesitate to bench him and give Nady a bunch of starts against righties too.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)