Mar 3, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Lou Piniella has recently begun referring to Kosuke Fukudome as “The Fook,” which I think is absolutely fantastic. Asked how he came up with the new nickname, the manager replied: “I like the name. It’s easy to say.”
Through his interpreter Fukudome signed off on the nickname and then Piniella talked about his expectations for the third-year outfielder:
We think Fukudome is gonna have a good year. It’s a learning process, and compound that with a new country. It takes a while, but now he’s passed his freshman and sophomore years. He’s a junior now and ready to go. Let’s hope he has a nice breakout year, .280 or .285, drive in 70 or 80 runs. I don’t care about power numbers. On-base percentage, getting on base, driving in some runs, handle the bat … the power numbers will take care of itself.
Fukudome will likely begin the season platooning with Xavier Nady in right field, and while “driving in 70 or 80 runs” may prove difficult while sitting out a couple games per week, playing almost exclusively against right-handed pitching should do wonders for his rate stats.
The Fook is a .262/.372/.417 career hitter versus right-handers compared to just .242/.343/.324 versus southpaws. However, if Fukudome goes into another one of his extended slumps Piniella probably won’t hesitate to bench him and give Nady a bunch of starts against righties too.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 41
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 87
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)