Marlon Byrd is paying dividends already

Mar 3, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT

Marlon Byrd headshot.jpgIf Milton Bradley-Marlon Byrd comparisons weren’t lame enough, stuff like this makes them lamer:

After Marlon Byrd saw Carlos Marmol throw a batting practice
session recently, he pulled the young Cubs closer aside. Byrd could
tell what Marmol was throwing. “I fixed it,” Marmol said Tuesday. “It’s not a good thing. I know what I have to do . . . He talked to me. He’s my teammate. I don’t want somebody else to see my pitches.”

Can anyone picture Milton Bradley doin’ that?

Something else from the article that caught my eye was Byrd saying that he learned to spot pitch-tipping from Ricky Ledee.

I don’t know if anyone else is like this, but there are certain guys who I never think of as aging, and Ricky Ledee is one of them. There’s no real reason for this, but in my mind, he’s still a Yankees prospect from the mid-90s, so it’s physically impossible for him to have mentored the (in my imagination) much older Marlon Byrd.

Others in that camp: Jim Palmer, Livan Hernandez (don’t ask me why), Jeter, Scott Rolen and a handful of others. It has nothing to do with physical appearance, personality, style of play or anything like that. They’re just guys who, when someone mentions their name, I think of as 23 years old for some reason.

Maybe I should see a doctor about that.

1. berselius - Mar 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Can anyone picture Milton Bradley doin’ that?
    Um, yes I could.

2. Stone - Mar 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Jose Offerman.

3. Mw - Mar 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM

“They’re just guys who, when someone mentions their name, I think of as 23 years old for some reason.
    Maybe I should see a doctor about that.”
    Depends if you think of them being naked or not?

4. MVD - Mar 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Its ok, Craig, I still think of Jeter as 23 too. And Junior. And Dave Winfield will always be 35.

5. Rays fan - Mar 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I always think of myself as 23. In a shocking development, my daughter is now older than I am.

6. Andy L - Mar 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Heather Graham is 40. How crazy is that?!

7. Grant - Mar 3, 2010 at 8:04 PM

If you watched Orioles telecasts you wouldn’t think that about Palmer. Let’s just say all that tanning did NOT do wonders for the man’s skin.

Still arrogant, though. Gotta love him.

8. wickethewok - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I’d say the opposite for Livan Hernandez actually. He’s seemed 40 for years now.

9. Madhatters - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I think the same about Ledee I still imagine him in ’98 playing for the Phillies in old Veterans Stadium. Nicest guy in the world by the way.
    He literally handed me 3 balls from the field of play. And when I gave one to my nephew, who immediately threw it back on the field, Ledee brought another ball from the dugout between innings and handed it to me.
    Almost inexplicably Ricky Ledee is my favorite player all-time!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3370)