Mar 3, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
After Marlon Byrd saw Carlos Marmol throw a batting practice
session recently, he pulled the young Cubs closer aside. Byrd could
tell what Marmol was throwing. “I fixed it,” Marmol said Tuesday. “It’s not a good thing. I know what I have to do . . . He talked to me. He’s my teammate. I don’t want somebody else to see my pitches.”
Can anyone picture Milton Bradley doin’ that?
Something else from the article that caught my eye was Byrd saying that he learned to spot pitch-tipping from Ricky Ledee.
I don’t know if anyone else is like this, but there are certain guys who I never think of as aging, and Ricky Ledee is one of them. There’s no real reason for this, but in my mind, he’s still a Yankees prospect from the mid-90s, so it’s physically impossible for him to have mentored the (in my imagination) much older Marlon Byrd.
Others in that camp: Jim Palmer, Livan Hernandez (don’t ask me why), Jeter, Scott Rolen and a handful of others. It has nothing to do with physical appearance, personality, style of play or anything like that. They’re just guys who, when someone mentions their name, I think of as 23 years old for some reason.
Maybe I should see a doctor about that.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)