Mar 3, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
After Marlon Byrd saw Carlos Marmol throw a batting practice
session recently, he pulled the young Cubs closer aside. Byrd could
tell what Marmol was throwing. “I fixed it,” Marmol said Tuesday. “It’s not a good thing. I know what I have to do . . . He talked to me. He’s my teammate. I don’t want somebody else to see my pitches.”
Can anyone picture Milton Bradley doin’ that?
Something else from the article that caught my eye was Byrd saying that he learned to spot pitch-tipping from Ricky Ledee.
I don’t know if anyone else is like this, but there are certain guys who I never think of as aging, and Ricky Ledee is one of them. There’s no real reason for this, but in my mind, he’s still a Yankees prospect from the mid-90s, so it’s physically impossible for him to have mentored the (in my imagination) much older Marlon Byrd.
Others in that camp: Jim Palmer, Livan Hernandez (don’t ask me why), Jeter, Scott Rolen and a handful of others. It has nothing to do with physical appearance, personality, style of play or anything like that. They’re just guys who, when someone mentions their name, I think of as 23 years old for some reason.
Maybe I should see a doctor about that.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)