Mar 3, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
After Marlon Byrd saw Carlos Marmol throw a batting practice
session recently, he pulled the young Cubs closer aside. Byrd could
tell what Marmol was throwing. “I fixed it,” Marmol said Tuesday. “It’s not a good thing. I know what I have to do . . . He talked to me. He’s my teammate. I don’t want somebody else to see my pitches.”
Can anyone picture Milton Bradley doin’ that?
Something else from the article that caught my eye was Byrd saying that he learned to spot pitch-tipping from Ricky Ledee.
I don’t know if anyone else is like this, but there are certain guys who I never think of as aging, and Ricky Ledee is one of them. There’s no real reason for this, but in my mind, he’s still a Yankees prospect from the mid-90s, so it’s physically impossible for him to have mentored the (in my imagination) much older Marlon Byrd.
Others in that camp: Jim Palmer, Livan Hernandez (don’t ask me why), Jeter, Scott Rolen and a handful of others. It has nothing to do with physical appearance, personality, style of play or anything like that. They’re just guys who, when someone mentions their name, I think of as 23 years old for some reason.
Maybe I should see a doctor about that.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)