Mar 3, 2010, 7:22 PM EST
Rhyne Hughes and Josh Bell, who could be the corner infielders for Baltimore’s Triple-A Norfolk affiliate this year, had two-homer games in a 12-2 win over the Rays.
With the wind blowing out to left at 15 mph, Nick Markakis and Tampa Bay’s Sean Rodriguez also homered in the contest.
Hughes and Bell were blocked by the Orioles’ signings of Garrett Atkins and Miguel Tejada over the winter, but Hughes is a marginal talent anyway and Bell could use at least a half-season in Triple-A. Though his defensive rep is rather shaky, Bell is one of the AL’s best prospects.
Also from Wednesday:
– Ramiro Pena hit a solo homer and Collin Curtis delivered a walkoff shot in the bottom of the ninth as the Yankees prevailed over the Pirates 6-3.
– Tim Lincecum struggled, surrendering three runs — two earned — in an inning, but the Giants bounced back to beat the Mariners 8-7 in 10 innings.
– The Tigers beat the Blue Jays 7-6 behind a strong start from rotation hopeful Jeremy Bonderman.
Also notable in that game was that Toronto’s Travis Snider started off the spring hitting ninth, even though the Jays were facing a right-hander.
– The Braves topped the Mets 9-5, yet Jason Heyward’s average fell to .667 with him settling for an RBI double and a walk in three plate appearances.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)