Mar 3, 2010, 7:22 PM EDT
Rhyne Hughes and Josh Bell, who could be the corner infielders for Baltimore’s Triple-A Norfolk affiliate this year, had two-homer games in a 12-2 win over the Rays.
With the wind blowing out to left at 15 mph, Nick Markakis and Tampa Bay’s Sean Rodriguez also homered in the contest.
Hughes and Bell were blocked by the Orioles’ signings of Garrett Atkins and Miguel Tejada over the winter, but Hughes is a marginal talent anyway and Bell could use at least a half-season in Triple-A. Though his defensive rep is rather shaky, Bell is one of the AL’s best prospects.
Also from Wednesday:
– Ramiro Pena hit a solo homer and Collin Curtis delivered a walkoff shot in the bottom of the ninth as the Yankees prevailed over the Pirates 6-3.
– Tim Lincecum struggled, surrendering three runs — two earned — in an inning, but the Giants bounced back to beat the Mariners 8-7 in 10 innings.
– The Tigers beat the Blue Jays 7-6 behind a strong start from rotation hopeful Jeremy Bonderman.
Also notable in that game was that Toronto’s Travis Snider started off the spring hitting ninth, even though the Jays were facing a right-hander.
– The Braves topped the Mets 9-5, yet Jason Heyward’s average fell to .667 with him settling for an RBI double and a walk in three plate appearances.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)