Mar 3, 2010, 7:22 PM EDT
Rhyne Hughes and Josh Bell, who could be the corner infielders for Baltimore’s Triple-A Norfolk affiliate this year, had two-homer games in a 12-2 win over the Rays.
With the wind blowing out to left at 15 mph, Nick Markakis and Tampa Bay’s Sean Rodriguez also homered in the contest.
Hughes and Bell were blocked by the Orioles’ signings of Garrett Atkins and Miguel Tejada over the winter, but Hughes is a marginal talent anyway and Bell could use at least a half-season in Triple-A. Though his defensive rep is rather shaky, Bell is one of the AL’s best prospects.
Also from Wednesday:
– Ramiro Pena hit a solo homer and Collin Curtis delivered a walkoff shot in the bottom of the ninth as the Yankees prevailed over the Pirates 6-3.
– Tim Lincecum struggled, surrendering three runs — two earned — in an inning, but the Giants bounced back to beat the Mariners 8-7 in 10 innings.
– The Tigers beat the Blue Jays 7-6 behind a strong start from rotation hopeful Jeremy Bonderman.
Also notable in that game was that Toronto’s Travis Snider started off the spring hitting ninth, even though the Jays were facing a right-hander.
– The Braves topped the Mets 9-5, yet Jason Heyward’s average fell to .667 with him settling for an RBI double and a walk in three plate appearances.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 7
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)