Mar 3, 2010, 7:22 PM EDT
Rhyne Hughes and Josh Bell, who could be the corner infielders for Baltimore’s Triple-A Norfolk affiliate this year, had two-homer games in a 12-2 win over the Rays.
With the wind blowing out to left at 15 mph, Nick Markakis and Tampa Bay’s Sean Rodriguez also homered in the contest.
Hughes and Bell were blocked by the Orioles’ signings of Garrett Atkins and Miguel Tejada over the winter, but Hughes is a marginal talent anyway and Bell could use at least a half-season in Triple-A. Though his defensive rep is rather shaky, Bell is one of the AL’s best prospects.
Also from Wednesday:
– Ramiro Pena hit a solo homer and Collin Curtis delivered a walkoff shot in the bottom of the ninth as the Yankees prevailed over the Pirates 6-3.
– Tim Lincecum struggled, surrendering three runs — two earned — in an inning, but the Giants bounced back to beat the Mariners 8-7 in 10 innings.
– The Tigers beat the Blue Jays 7-6 behind a strong start from rotation hopeful Jeremy Bonderman.
Also notable in that game was that Toronto’s Travis Snider started off the spring hitting ninth, even though the Jays were facing a right-hander.
– The Braves topped the Mets 9-5, yet Jason Heyward’s average fell to .667 with him settling for an RBI double and a walk in three plate appearances.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)