The Cubs sign Cuban defector Serrano

Mar 3, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT

RHP Juan Serrano defected from Cuba last year, and today the Cubs signed himBruce Levine of ESPN reports that it’s a $250,000 deal, which makes it a minor league thing unless teams are giving out half-season contracts now.  The team has yet to confirm, as physicals need to be passed and all of that stuff.

Serrano isn’t a terribly electrifying prospect.  He’ supposedly has high-80s/low-90s velocity and a decent breaking ball. This assessment, from Cuban baseball watcher Peter Bjarkman, is pretty withering:

The
stark truth (known by all close followers of Cuban baseball) is that
Juan Yasser Serrano was a rather mediocre Cuban Leaguer whose 2007-2008
record was a below average 2-7 won-lost mark, further diminished by an
elevated 6.46 ERA and a hefty .312 opponents’ batting average against
his deliveries. And this, while hurling for one of the league’s very
best teams, Villa Clara. Serrano’s three-year lifetime mark entering
the current campaign was 14-16, with a 4.40 ERA for a club that
captured division titles in all three seasons he labored there.

Bjarkman says to ignore all of the hype spewed by Serrano’s agent, Jaime Torres, saying that Torres is known for spreading “outrageous falsehoods” about his clients. I have no idea — maybe people say bad things about Bjarkman too — but those stats were complied in a league where pitchers tend to get huge strike zones, so if they’re accurate Serrano really is no great shakes.

For what it’s worth, Levine says the Cubs will start him out at A or AA.  If we ever see him in the majors, I assume it will be in middle relief.

1. themarksmith - Mar 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I’ve read a couple Bjarkman books on baseball in Latin America. I’ll take his word over the agent.

2. Joe - Mar 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I doubt I am the only person who was expecting a Major League joke and did not get it. For shame…

3. Oscar - Mar 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM

An excerpt from his press conference:
    “I cannot throw curveball. Straightball I throw it very much. Curveball, bats are not afraid. I ask Jobu to come, put fear on bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.”

4. steviek - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM

“Serrano’s got the disks! Serrano’s got the disks!”
    sorry. couldnt resist. also dating myself.

5. nick - Mar 4, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Cant believe there was no major league reference in there

6. Brian Cartwright - Mar 25, 2010 at 5:12 AM

Yes, Serrano had a miserable 2007, but what Bjarkman leaves out is that Serrano was 6-6, 2.69/.230 in 18 GS, 100 IP in 2006, at age 17?, then 4-0, 3.43/.296 in 5 G, 3 GS, 21 IP at age 19? before he defected. He’s probably worth a 250k investment.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS