The Mets called about Adrian Gonzalez

Mar 3, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT

Adrian Gonzalez headshot.jpgLast night Matthew and Drew gave us the overview regarding Adrian Gonzalez, including the mondo contract he’s reportedly demanding and the odds of him landing in Chicago. Pile that on top of the long-running Red Sox speculation, of course.  But Boston and Chicago aren’t the only teams who would love to get their mitts on a young, inexpensive superstar. Heeeeeeeeere’s Heyman!

mets LOVE ike davis. but there were 1 of many to call about the great adrian gonzalez.

Two questions about that tweet:

1. I figured that Heyman didn’t capitalize proper nouns in his tweets because it was a hassle doing it from his phone or whatever, but he can obviously capitalize the word “LOVE.” Why not “mets,” “ike davis” and “adrian gonzalez?” Maybe journalism school isn’t as rigorous as some think; and

2. Do the Mets have the goods to get Gonzalez? Ike Davis is a decent prospect who would be immediately redundant in the event AG came to Queens, but he doesn’t strike me as the kind of player that someone with Jed Hoyer’s sensibilities would consider to be a trade anchor. Are there enough other near-ready prospects in the Mets system to get such a beast done? That’s an honest question, by the way, not me slamming the Mets system.

Certainly New York would be a candidate to give Gonzalez that Teixeira-like contract he apparently wants, but that’s two years from now. The real play for him will be before then.

1. tvators - Mar 3, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Um yes mets could easily put together a package for Gonzalez. No way Pads turn down, Davis, mejia, fmart plus a low level high upside arm or something like that. Could add havens or tejeda as young middle infield prospects. I doubt the mets would want to give up that much, I’d rather let Davis go to AAA and hopefully take over at 1b for cheap the next few years rather than a ton of prospects and 180 mil…..

2. Chris - Mar 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM

1. Heyman is probably rocking an I Phone. It is a pain in the neck to capitalize. Still Johnny Scoops has to go the extra mile and capitalize. Although that could be his way of making up for that milisecond of lost time we will now experience due to the earthquake in Chile.
    2. Mets have nothing to offer for Adrian Gonzalez.

3. Max - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM

The trade anchor would probably be Mejia. tvators goes over the major names. I would imagine that if a lower-level guy was to be included, it would be the high-upside but very young Wilmer Flores.
    Like tvators, I don’t think the Mets should make the kind of trade that would be necessary.

4. Grant - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Heyman want to Northwestern. Isn’t that, like, the most prestigious J-school in the country or something?

And it’s not that hard to capitalize on an iPhone. It takes one extra tap of a button, just like on a regular keyboard.

5. OldNo7 - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I just got a Blackberry, big upgrade from my old Motorola Q. One thing I don’t like is I can’t find a caps lock–to capitalize I hold down each letter for a second. Fine for proper nouns, a pain with heyman’s LOVE. Anyone know a trick?

6. Jonny5 - Mar 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM

The Mets need to rebuild from the bottom up. Why would they trade prospects for a future big money guy? Seriously, are they trying to pay a Yankee payroll, while remaining at the bottom of the NL? This either has to be BS or Minaya and ownership really just don’t get it yet.

7. Glen L - Mar 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM

If the mets wanted to keep Mejia, which I would understand, I still think they could put together a package with F-Mart, Ike Davis, Flores, and a pitcher like Niese … those 4 alone might not be enough, but there’s others that can be added or exchanged, i.e. holt, havens, etc.

8. scatterbrian - Mar 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Johnny5, the Mets don’t need to rebuild, particularly after adding Bay to Wright, Reyes, Beltran and Santana. That’s a core, not something you tear down. If they are to do any rebuilding, it should start in the front office, and maybe make it’s way down to the outfield fences.

9. Brian - Mar 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

really??? There have been about 5 top 100 prospect lists released over the last month (MLB, BaseballAmerica, ESPN…) and on pretty much everyone of them the mets have 4 prospects. Meija, Davis, Flores, F-Mart… one of them even included Niese. I have to assume as a baseball blogger you might have taken a look at these lists..of course I could be wrong. I love this blog but you are either asking this to create controversy, simply naive of baseball’s prospects or a little of both.

10. Tom - Mar 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Absolutely no chance the Padres are going to trade for Ike Davis when they have a better, younger 1B already on the team in Kyle Blanks.

11. Benny Blanco - Mar 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Good old jonny5. One bad injury prone year and you act like they have finished in last place for the last 10 years.
    No one is saying Minaya desrves GM of the year award, but if this is true, at least he’s looking for ways to make the team stronger.

12. Tvators - Mar 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Nah Tom, Davis is younger and while Blanks has tremendous power, if Davis fulfills his promise he projects to be a much better all around player with a lot of power himself and could easily shift to the OF, where as Blanks needs to be shifted to DH.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3599)