Mar 3, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
Last night Matthew and Drew gave us the overview regarding Adrian Gonzalez, including the mondo contract he’s reportedly demanding and the odds of him landing in Chicago. Pile that on top of the long-running Red Sox speculation, of course. But Boston and Chicago aren’t the only teams who would love to get their mitts on a young, inexpensive superstar. Heeeeeeeeere’s Heyman!
mets LOVE ike davis. but there were 1 of many to call about the great adrian gonzalez.
Two questions about that tweet:
1. I figured that Heyman didn’t capitalize proper nouns in his tweets because it was a hassle doing it from his phone or whatever, but he can obviously capitalize the word “LOVE.” Why not “mets,” “ike davis” and “adrian gonzalez?” Maybe journalism school isn’t as rigorous as some think; and
2. Do the Mets have the goods to get Gonzalez? Ike Davis is a decent prospect who would be immediately redundant in the event AG came to Queens, but he doesn’t strike me as the kind of player that someone with Jed Hoyer’s sensibilities would consider to be a trade anchor. Are there enough other near-ready prospects in the Mets system to get such a beast done? That’s an honest question, by the way, not me slamming the Mets system.
Certainly New York would be a candidate to give Gonzalez that Teixeira-like contract he apparently wants, but that’s two years from now. The real play for him will be before then.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)