Mar 3, 2010, 8:58 AM EST
Last night Matthew and Drew gave us the overview regarding Adrian Gonzalez, including the mondo contract he’s reportedly demanding and the odds of him landing in Chicago. Pile that on top of the long-running Red Sox speculation, of course. But Boston and Chicago aren’t the only teams who would love to get their mitts on a young, inexpensive superstar. Heeeeeeeeere’s Heyman!
mets LOVE ike davis. but there were 1 of many to call about the great adrian gonzalez.
Two questions about that tweet:
1. I figured that Heyman didn’t capitalize proper nouns in his tweets because it was a hassle doing it from his phone or whatever, but he can obviously capitalize the word “LOVE.” Why not “mets,” “ike davis” and “adrian gonzalez?” Maybe journalism school isn’t as rigorous as some think; and
2. Do the Mets have the goods to get Gonzalez? Ike Davis is a decent prospect who would be immediately redundant in the event AG came to Queens, but he doesn’t strike me as the kind of player that someone with Jed Hoyer’s sensibilities would consider to be a trade anchor. Are there enough other near-ready prospects in the Mets system to get such a beast done? That’s an honest question, by the way, not me slamming the Mets system.
Certainly New York would be a candidate to give Gonzalez that Teixeira-like contract he apparently wants, but that’s two years from now. The real play for him will be before then.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)