Brett Cecil cuts thumb in 'kitchen-type accident'

Mar 4, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT

Brett Cecil has been scratched from his scheduled spring training debut today after cutting his left thumb in what pitching coach Bruce Walton called “a kitchen-type accident.”
That could mean Cecil sliced his thumb cutting bagels or it could mean he got into a brawl with Gordon Ramsay, because so far no further details have been given. For now I’ll just assume the Ramsay brawling, because obviously that seems most likely.
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian notes that Cecil “is still playing catch and will resume normal activity in a couple days,” but any missed time will hurt the 23-year-old southpaw’s already iffy chances of claiming a spot in the Blue Jays’ rotation.

1. Old Gator - Mar 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I just wanna hear that he was having Bob Ojeda over for lunch when this happened.

2. (Not That) Tom - Mar 4, 2010 at 12:38 PM

“Kitchen-type accident” implies an accident normally associated with the kitchen but outside of a kitchen setting. Or else they would have just called it a “kitchen accident”, right?
    That just makes this even more intriguing.

3. peteinfla - Mar 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM

My guess is was trying to prepare one of Old Gator’s recipes!

4. RickyB - Mar 4, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I had a “kitchen accident” the night before my first game in a collegiate wood bat summer league. Sliced the tip of my middle finger (on my throwing hand) wide open with a knife while cutting a watermelon. I was the third baseman for the first game, and I could barely grip the ball and get it across the diamond. I was trying to throw the ball with my index and ring fingers on the ball instead of my middle finger to keep from bleeding on the ball. Omen of things to come. Worst summer I ever had playing ball.

5. Nat - Mar 4, 2010 at 3:58 PM

…waiting for the inevitable Blyleven reference…

6. jwb - Mar 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Kinda boring. Now they’re saying it was a “kitchen accident” rather than playing mumblety peg with kitchen knives or something.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3164)