Mar 4, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Carlos Lee missed the Astros’ spring training opener today and will also be absent for Friday’s game because he’s attending the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
He got manager Brad Mills’ blessing, of course. And this is not, as they say, his first rodeo.
Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle reports that Lee is “an avid cattle rancher with sprawling properties in his native Panama as well as in Wharton County” and “left camp after Wednesday’s workouts to attend the rodeo, where he has 11 entries.”
He’s expected to be in the lineup for Saturday’s game against the Braves.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)