Mar 4, 2010, 2:46 PM EST
Carlos Lee missed the Astros’ spring training opener today and will also be absent for Friday’s game because he’s attending the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
He got manager Brad Mills’ blessing, of course. And this is not, as they say, his first rodeo.
Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle reports that Lee is “an avid cattle rancher with sprawling properties in his native Panama as well as in Wharton County” and “left camp after Wednesday’s workouts to attend the rodeo, where he has 11 entries.”
He’s expected to be in the lineup for Saturday’s game against the Braves.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 38
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 84
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (102)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (84)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)