Mar 4, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Carlos Lee missed the Astros’ spring training opener today and will also be absent for Friday’s game because he’s attending the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
He got manager Brad Mills’ blessing, of course. And this is not, as they say, his first rodeo.
Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle reports that Lee is “an avid cattle rancher with sprawling properties in his native Panama as well as in Wharton County” and “left camp after Wednesday’s workouts to attend the rodeo, where he has 11 entries.”
He’s expected to be in the lineup for Saturday’s game against the Braves.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69