Casey Kelly makes his spring debut

Mar 4, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT

Red Sox phenom Casey Kelly made his debut yesterday.  He threw ten pitches against college kids.  Those pitches inspired 2700 words between the Globe’s Dan Shaughnessy and WEEI’s Alex Speier. Overkill? Sure, but if you’re like me you really can’t get enough info about young players. I’ve not had a chance to see Kelly pitch yet, so anything I can read about him is interesting to me. And really, these 2700 relatively measured words about Kelly are more enlightening than the five-word, all-caps pronouncements about how Jason Heyward is the Second Coming or whatever.

I think the most interesting thing people are saying about him — apart from the thing about how he played catch with Vlad Guerrero when he Kelly was six years-old, which makes me feel really, really old — is his excellent control, which is not usually the first thing you hear about from a 20 year-old. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing him pitch.

1. YX - Mar 4, 2010 at 9:18 AM

This must be the first time ever “Shaughnessy” and “relatively measured” being used in the same paragraph.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 4, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Shaughnessy kind of drives me nuts because unlike so many of the other blowhards, he has a lower, more reasonable gear that he’s fully capable of using when he wants to. His bad stuff is really bad, but he strikes me as much smarter than the other writers we all bash, and capable of better than he often shows.

3. KR - Mar 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Shaughnessy strikes me as something of a professional troll — he is certainly capable of being reasonable, he just usually chooses to not be, in order to “generate controversy” or whatever.
    I follow the Red Sox and the Nationals most closely; between Kelly and Strasburg, I’ve read enough breathless praise of young pitchers to last for awhile.

4. Joe - Mar 4, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I assume if Shaughnessy was “relatively measured” that he didn’t take the opportunity to dump on Schilling or Nomar. (Kelly being a former shortstop and all.) I won’t be clicking through, however.

5. ecp - Mar 4, 2010 at 12:19 PM

“Relatively measured?” Shaughnessy is out there talking about naming the ballpark after Kelly and people telling their grandchildren about his first appearance there and you’re calling it “relatively measured?” I kind of agree with KR, about the gushing over Kelly and Strasburg having reached overkill; and I’d add Chapman to the list. Between the three of them they have thrown exactly 95 minor league innings of A level ball.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I took the “name the field after him” line as a tongue in cheek acknowledgment of all the hype he’s gotten already (even if DS was about to add more). On the whole I thought of it as your run of the mill “this young kid is the next big thing) story. Those are tired, sure, but if you get a couple of interesting nuggets out of them you haven’t wasted your time.
    I don’t read tons of Sox specific things, though, so maybe this is less played out to me than it is to others.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic