Mar 4, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Bad news out of Mariners camp this evening. According to Shannon Drayer of Seattle’s ESPN 710, David Aardsma was complaining of groin soreness after Thursday’s spring victory over the Padres.
“Hopefully we catch this before it turns into something serious,” manager Don Wakamatsu said after the game.
If Wakamatsu isn’t concerned, we probably shouldn’t be either. But any time a closer goes down it is always big news in the baseball world. The 28-year-old Aardsma rang up an impressive 2.52 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 38 saves in 42 chances last season as the M’s ninth-inning hurler. He might be behind the rest of the Mariners’ pitchers for the next few weeks, but it doesn’t take long for relievers to get geared up for the regular season, especially closers.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 13
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 14
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)