Mar 4, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Bad news out of Mariners camp this evening. According to Shannon Drayer of Seattle’s ESPN 710, David Aardsma was complaining of groin soreness after Thursday’s spring victory over the Padres.
“Hopefully we catch this before it turns into something serious,” manager Don Wakamatsu said after the game.
If Wakamatsu isn’t concerned, we probably shouldn’t be either. But any time a closer goes down it is always big news in the baseball world. The 28-year-old Aardsma rang up an impressive 2.52 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 38 saves in 42 chances last season as the M’s ninth-inning hurler. He might be behind the rest of the Mariners’ pitchers for the next few weeks, but it doesn’t take long for relievers to get geared up for the regular season, especially closers.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)