Mar 4, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Bad news out of Mariners camp this evening. According to Shannon Drayer of Seattle’s ESPN 710, David Aardsma was complaining of groin soreness after Thursday’s spring victory over the Padres.
“Hopefully we catch this before it turns into something serious,” manager Don Wakamatsu said after the game.
If Wakamatsu isn’t concerned, we probably shouldn’t be either. But any time a closer goes down it is always big news in the baseball world. The 28-year-old Aardsma rang up an impressive 2.52 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 38 saves in 42 chances last season as the M’s ninth-inning hurler. He might be behind the rest of the Mariners’ pitchers for the next few weeks, but it doesn’t take long for relievers to get geared up for the regular season, especially closers.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)