Mar 4, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Bad news out of Mariners camp this evening. According to Shannon Drayer of Seattle’s ESPN 710, David Aardsma was complaining of groin soreness after Thursday’s spring victory over the Padres.
“Hopefully we catch this before it turns into something serious,” manager Don Wakamatsu said after the game.
If Wakamatsu isn’t concerned, we probably shouldn’t be either. But any time a closer goes down it is always big news in the baseball world. The 28-year-old Aardsma rang up an impressive 2.52 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 38 saves in 42 chances last season as the M’s ninth-inning hurler. He might be behind the rest of the Mariners’ pitchers for the next few weeks, but it doesn’t take long for relievers to get geared up for the regular season, especially closers.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11