Nick Johnson scratched

Mar 4, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

What was it I said this morning about Nick Johnson staying healthy this year?  He just got scratched as the DH for today’s Yankees game. No reason given. I’m going to guess . . . um, Zollinger-Ellision Syndrome.  Day-to-day.  Might need a cortisone shot for it or something.

UPDATE:  It’s lower back stiffness. My wife had that just before our daughter was born. Trainers have him sitting on a big exercise ball and eating ice chips. Updates as warranted.

1. Old Gator - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I just got off the phone with the Mutts medical staff. They recommend Pepto-Bismol. If the condition worsens, they recommend more Pepto-Bismol. If that doesn’t do it, they recommend permitting Nurse Wilkes to euthanize him.

2. Dan in Katonah - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Update: Actually Nick Johnson is on the 60-day DL with a “scratch”. It seems he was scratched by an over exuberant Chihuahua and now is expected to return on June 1. No word on whether the dog had a crush on Johnson or whether he was merely excited because Johnson is his favorite player.

3. Jonny5 - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Is he doing breathing exercises???? Keigal excercises?

4. JCD - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:44 PM

There’s the laugh I expect at least once a day here! Thanks :)

5. YX - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM

The wiki page for Zollinger-Ellision Syndrome has a random “bye bye everyone” in the middle.
    Craig, that was you, wasn’t it.

6. Ryan - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM

What if they run out of Pepto? Pour some water in it, shake it up – boom, more Pepto.

7. Old Gator - Mar 4, 2010 at 2:05 PM

See the smoothie recipe I recommended for BC in the Jose-Reyes-is-Secretly-Crippled thread.
    Incidentally, Pepto-Bismol is based on bismuth, so I suppose it can’t be a whole lot less effective than Salversan for another common baseball malady that usually sets in within a few weeks of a road trip.

8. cliff.braver - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM