Mar 4, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
SI’s Tim Marchman — after acknowledging just how hard it is to objectively rate general managers due to differing payrolls, owners, and expectations — tries to rate the general managers.
Top 5: Andrew Friedman, Theo, Cashman, Larry Beinfest and Jack Zduriencik.
Bottom 5 (worst first): Dayton Moore, Ed Wade, Brian Sabean, Ned Colletti and Omar Minaya.
I like Friedman and Theo, but I think Cashman should probably lead the list. Yes, the Yankees have tons of money, but ever since the owners have gotten off his back, Cashman has made great moves, not just great-for-a-rich-guy moves. I think Jack Z may be a little high. Great offseason, sure, but until the guys he went out and got actually play a few games it may be worth being a bit conservative.
The bottom end is pretty much right. Dayton Moore has stunk on ice and Ed Wade’s job security is one of the greater mysteries of the universe. I slam Omar a lot, but I still get this feeling that when he’s finally fired we’ll learn that Jeff Wilpon has authored some of the team’s worst moves.
Sabean is my least favorite GM in baseball, less for his actual moves than the fact that he is a spineless man and a loathesome boss. For this reason alone Sabean would be on the bottom of my list even if he traded Aaron Rowand for Stephen Strasburg straight up.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)