Mar 4, 2010, 10:03 PM EST
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times confirms that the Rays have interest in Blalock on a minor league deal.
4:44pm: Two weeks ago Matthew named Tampa Bay and Florida as the best remaining fits for Hank Blalock, and sure enough now SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that the 29-year-old free agent is indeed deciding between the Rays and Marlins.
In their quest for another left-handed hitter the Rays previously missed out on Russell Branyan and would likely use Blalock to split time at designated hitter with Pat Burrell while also providing some depth behind Carlos Pena at first base and Evan Longoria at third base. For the Marlins he’d be a potential alternative to prospects Logan Morrison and Gaby Sanchez at first base.
At this point Blalock is probably choosing between low-money deals or perhaps even minor-league offers, so he might as well take the best opportunity for significant playing time and that’s likely Tampa Bay unless Florida is willing to hold Morrison back at Triple-A for most of the season.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)