Mar 4, 2010, 10:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times confirms that the Rays have interest in Blalock on a minor league deal.
4:44pm: Two weeks ago Matthew named Tampa Bay and Florida as the best remaining fits for Hank Blalock, and sure enough now SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that the 29-year-old free agent is indeed deciding between the Rays and Marlins.
In their quest for another left-handed hitter the Rays previously missed out on Russell Branyan and would likely use Blalock to split time at designated hitter with Pat Burrell while also providing some depth behind Carlos Pena at first base and Evan Longoria at third base. For the Marlins he’d be a potential alternative to prospects Logan Morrison and Gaby Sanchez at first base.
At this point Blalock is probably choosing between low-money deals or perhaps even minor-league offers, so he might as well take the best opportunity for significant playing time and that’s likely Tampa Bay unless Florida is willing to hold Morrison back at Triple-A for most of the season.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)