Mar 4, 2010, 10:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times confirms that the Rays have interest in Blalock on a minor league deal.
4:44pm: Two weeks ago Matthew named Tampa Bay and Florida as the best remaining fits for Hank Blalock, and sure enough now SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that the 29-year-old free agent is indeed deciding between the Rays and Marlins.
In their quest for another left-handed hitter the Rays previously missed out on Russell Branyan and would likely use Blalock to split time at designated hitter with Pat Burrell while also providing some depth behind Carlos Pena at first base and Evan Longoria at third base. For the Marlins he’d be a potential alternative to prospects Logan Morrison and Gaby Sanchez at first base.
At this point Blalock is probably choosing between low-money deals or perhaps even minor-league offers, so he might as well take the best opportunity for significant playing time and that’s likely Tampa Bay unless Florida is willing to hold Morrison back at Triple-A for most of the season.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 2
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)