Mar 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
The Giants and the Brewers played in the Cactus League today and, against all odds, something (kinda) meaningful happened:
In the first inning of today’s Cactus League game against the Milwaukee
Brewers, Zito hit Prince Fielder in the back with his first pitch in
apparent retaliation for Fielder’s staged “bowling pin” celebration
after his homer ended a Sept. 6 game in Milwaukee.
You remember that one, don’t you:
I’m fiercely opposed to guys throwing at one another out of b.s. like honor and adherence to the so-called unwritten rules, but that was really, really bush league by the Brewers and I probably would have plunked someone over it too.
And besides, Barry Zito’s fastball is in no danger of hurting anyone over the age of 6, so it’s all good.
Anthony Witrado of the Journal-Sentinel asked Fielder if the celebration was worth the ball in the back.
“Hell yeah,” Fielder said. “That’s something I did with me and my teammates. It has nothing to do with them.”
“You’re damn right it was worth it.”
I hated the celebration, but I like that he’s at least owning it, ya know?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 43
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 168
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)