Mar 5, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
This is why you shouldn’t pay much attention to those February “Player X is throwing free and easy” articles:
The Diamondbacks acknowledged on Friday morning that Brandon Webb might not be ready to start the season on time and could begin the year on the disabled list.
“It’s a long season,” General Manager Josh Byrnes
said. “If we get 30 starts from him, great. If we get 20, that’s great.
We just need to get it right.”
Asked if that means Webb might start on the DL,
Byrnes called it a possibility, the first time anyone in the
organization has admitted that Webb’s slow pace might leave him behind
For what it’s worth, Webb disagrees that he’ll need to start on the DL. No link for that, but that’s what folks are tweeting.
Hard to say what will happen here, but for those of you who skew pessimistic and want to skip ahead, the pattern usually goes like this:
1. Player X, recovering from surgery Y, is looking forward to showing everyone he can still get the job done (Dec-Jan);
2. Player X is throwing free and easy, eyes big year (Feb);
3. Player X has setback; feels fine; acknowledges there will be bumps in the road coming back (early March);
4. Player X may start the season on the DL; GM says it’s OK, season is long (next day);
5. Player X won’t break camp with the team; staying in Arizona/Florida for extended spring training (late March);
6. Player X flying to City Z for further tests (June);
7. Player X holding private workouts for suitors willing to take a chance (January).
Hope that’s not Webb’s path, of course, but it’s not like such a thing would be unprecedented.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 2
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 38
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)