Mar 5, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
This is why you shouldn’t pay much attention to those February “Player X is throwing free and easy” articles:
The Diamondbacks acknowledged on Friday morning that Brandon Webb might not be ready to start the season on time and could begin the year on the disabled list.
“It’s a long season,” General Manager Josh Byrnes
said. “If we get 30 starts from him, great. If we get 20, that’s great.
We just need to get it right.”
Asked if that means Webb might start on the DL,
Byrnes called it a possibility, the first time anyone in the
organization has admitted that Webb’s slow pace might leave him behind
For what it’s worth, Webb disagrees that he’ll need to start on the DL. No link for that, but that’s what folks are tweeting.
Hard to say what will happen here, but for those of you who skew pessimistic and want to skip ahead, the pattern usually goes like this:
1. Player X, recovering from surgery Y, is looking forward to showing everyone he can still get the job done (Dec-Jan);
2. Player X is throwing free and easy, eyes big year (Feb);
3. Player X has setback; feels fine; acknowledges there will be bumps in the road coming back (early March);
4. Player X may start the season on the DL; GM says it’s OK, season is long (next day);
5. Player X won’t break camp with the team; staying in Arizona/Florida for extended spring training (late March);
6. Player X flying to City Z for further tests (June);
7. Player X holding private workouts for suitors willing to take a chance (January).
Hope that’s not Webb’s path, of course, but it’s not like such a thing would be unprecedented.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)