Mar 5, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
This is why you shouldn’t pay much attention to those February “Player X is throwing free and easy” articles:
The Diamondbacks acknowledged on Friday morning that Brandon Webb might not be ready to start the season on time and could begin the year on the disabled list.
“It’s a long season,” General Manager Josh Byrnes
said. “If we get 30 starts from him, great. If we get 20, that’s great.
We just need to get it right.”
Asked if that means Webb might start on the DL,
Byrnes called it a possibility, the first time anyone in the
organization has admitted that Webb’s slow pace might leave him behind
For what it’s worth, Webb disagrees that he’ll need to start on the DL. No link for that, but that’s what folks are tweeting.
Hard to say what will happen here, but for those of you who skew pessimistic and want to skip ahead, the pattern usually goes like this:
1. Player X, recovering from surgery Y, is looking forward to showing everyone he can still get the job done (Dec-Jan);
2. Player X is throwing free and easy, eyes big year (Feb);
3. Player X has setback; feels fine; acknowledges there will be bumps in the road coming back (early March);
4. Player X may start the season on the DL; GM says it’s OK, season is long (next day);
5. Player X won’t break camp with the team; staying in Arizona/Florida for extended spring training (late March);
6. Player X flying to City Z for further tests (June);
7. Player X holding private workouts for suitors willing to take a chance (January).
Hope that’s not Webb’s path, of course, but it’s not like such a thing would be unprecedented.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 201
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (206)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)