Mar 5, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
This is why you shouldn’t pay much attention to those February “Player X is throwing free and easy” articles:
The Diamondbacks acknowledged on Friday morning that Brandon Webb might not be ready to start the season on time and could begin the year on the disabled list.
“It’s a long season,” General Manager Josh Byrnes
said. “If we get 30 starts from him, great. If we get 20, that’s great.
We just need to get it right.”
Asked if that means Webb might start on the DL,
Byrnes called it a possibility, the first time anyone in the
organization has admitted that Webb’s slow pace might leave him behind
For what it’s worth, Webb disagrees that he’ll need to start on the DL. No link for that, but that’s what folks are tweeting.
Hard to say what will happen here, but for those of you who skew pessimistic and want to skip ahead, the pattern usually goes like this:
1. Player X, recovering from surgery Y, is looking forward to showing everyone he can still get the job done (Dec-Jan);
2. Player X is throwing free and easy, eyes big year (Feb);
3. Player X has setback; feels fine; acknowledges there will be bumps in the road coming back (early March);
4. Player X may start the season on the DL; GM says it’s OK, season is long (next day);
5. Player X won’t break camp with the team; staying in Arizona/Florida for extended spring training (late March);
6. Player X flying to City Z for further tests (June);
7. Player X holding private workouts for suitors willing to take a chance (January).
Hope that’s not Webb’s path, of course, but it’s not like such a thing would be unprecedented.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 17
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)