Mar 5, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
This is why you shouldn’t pay much attention to those February “Player X is throwing free and easy” articles:
The Diamondbacks acknowledged on Friday morning that Brandon Webb might not be ready to start the season on time and could begin the year on the disabled list.
“It’s a long season,” General Manager Josh Byrnes
said. “If we get 30 starts from him, great. If we get 20, that’s great.
We just need to get it right.”
Asked if that means Webb might start on the DL,
Byrnes called it a possibility, the first time anyone in the
organization has admitted that Webb’s slow pace might leave him behind
For what it’s worth, Webb disagrees that he’ll need to start on the DL. No link for that, but that’s what folks are tweeting.
Hard to say what will happen here, but for those of you who skew pessimistic and want to skip ahead, the pattern usually goes like this:
1. Player X, recovering from surgery Y, is looking forward to showing everyone he can still get the job done (Dec-Jan);
2. Player X is throwing free and easy, eyes big year (Feb);
3. Player X has setback; feels fine; acknowledges there will be bumps in the road coming back (early March);
4. Player X may start the season on the DL; GM says it’s OK, season is long (next day);
5. Player X won’t break camp with the team; staying in Arizona/Florida for extended spring training (late March);
6. Player X flying to City Z for further tests (June);
7. Player X holding private workouts for suitors willing to take a chance (January).
Hope that’s not Webb’s path, of course, but it’s not like such a thing would be unprecedented.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 65
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)