Catching up with Bryce Harper

Mar 5, 2010, 5:40 PM EST

Bryce Harper cover small.jpgPhenom Bryce Harper has been on a parental-imposed media blackout for much of the winter. He emerges a bit today with a profile in the Las Vegas Review-Journal.  It’s a good read if for no other reason than it reminds you that Harper is painfully, painfully young to be going through what he’s been going through since that Sports Illustrated cover hit last summer:

“I had a transition from high
school to college, and it was pretty hard at the beginning. I was
second-guessing myself and thinking maybe I shouldn’t have done this,”
Harper said Tuesday.

“There were times when I was in my room or with my family or
something, and it was pretty hard because everybody was out there
saying stuff. I can’t live up to all the hype and everything like that.”

Harper, an honor student in high school, earned his GED test
credentials and was excelling at CSN while recording a 4.0 grade-point
average. But he was failing for the first time in baseball, compiling
too many 0-for-4 days at practice and striking out when he was
accustomed to hitting home runs.

“It really hurt me, and I was thinking maybe this isn’t for me,” he said, pausing. “But I put that aside.”

He’s doing better now, settling into a groove and leading his JC team in homers and RBIs. A JC team that is ranked number one in the nation.  Oh, and he has a hilarious sense of humor too:

Harper, being advised by agent
Scott Boras, said it’s not a foregone conclusion that he will enter
June’s major league draft, which could net him a signing bonus in the
neighborhood of $10 million.

Sure it isn’t a foregone conclusion. His parents didn’t rob him of two years of high school and cram him into junior college because they wanted to circumvent the draft rules for high schoolers. They were simply worried he couldn’t get a prom date if he stayed in high school. That’s the ticket.

1. Stone - Mar 5, 2010 at 7:30 PM

The kid looks like he would have a sweet golf swing as well.

2. David - Mar 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Why do you feel the need to make disparaging comments about this young man? He is clearly a very talented baseball player who is trying to achieve his lifelong dream as quickly as he can. Yes, he is young and as such, he still has a long road ahead of him. But why circle like a buzzard waiting for him to fail? How does it really affect you, or I, or anyone else for that matter if he succeeds or fails in his attempt? Why does it have to be portrayed as a money grab?
    Did you really need to post this item along with your snide comments? Are you just waiting for him to fail so you can either slam Scott Boras, or his parents, or triumph your opinion that he was robbed of something that no one can ever quantify? Because if you know what they are robbing him of then you really owe it to yourself to reach out to them and spell it out. Perhaps you know that with a normal upbringing he will become the medical researcher who will cure cancer.
    Please just think a little bit before jumping on a bandwagon that has unpredictability as its guide.

3. David - Mar 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM

One more point to consider pertains to the recently concluded Winter Olympics. Consider the case of American figure skater Rachel Flatt, she’s 17 years old. What do you suppose she sacrificed in order to finish 7th in her event? Is the difference here $10 million? Is it acceptable to be robbed of a normal upbringing as long as there’s not a big payday? What is your definition of being robbed and crammed? Where is the line drawn?
    Why does Bryce Harper have to follow some undefined ‘proper’ ascent to baseball’s top levels that athletes in other sports don’t need to follow to ascend to their sport’s top levels? Similarly, why is it that non-Americans can enter professional baseball at a similar age yet not be accused of being robbed by their parents?
    If the only difference is the dollar amount on the paycheck is it really different or is it discrimination?

4. Ramus - Mar 6, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Bryce, you go son….if you love what you are doing and you wake up every morning craving to play ball then keep up the good work. My son & I know how much hard work it is to develop a BIG LEAGUE Swing. You have obvioulsy have that swing and all your hard work is paying off. When you are at the top of your game everybody wants to be your friend but everybody is also there hoping you fall at the top of your game without any interest in catching you. Why do they do people do this? That only makes them feel better because of their own inadequacies and of course jealousy. Visit us for big league talk and swing clips at http://www.tampamlbscouting.blogspot.com.

5. Mr. T - Mar 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I pity da fool who bets against this kid. Ya betta get ready to eat some crow, sucker!!

6. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Mar 6, 2010 at 11:29 AM

David you should read more carefully before spewing. Craig was chastising Bryce Harper’s parents. But that’ okay, I’m sure your smug sanctimony was sincere. Not.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4790)
  2. M. Kemp (3419)
  3. J. Upton (2467)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2419)
  5. J. Kang (2414)