How to enhance your love (or hate) of the Mets

Mar 5, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT

One of the things that takes all the fun out of hating the Mets is that just about every Mets blogger I’ve had the pleasure to know is a great guy who does great work.  I mean sure, on the one hand it’s nice that these guys are so good that I am able to make my hate much better informed than it otherwise would be, but on the other hand it’s kind of sad to know that when the Mets make their inevitable missteps, someone I know and respect is unhappy.

Anyway, one of my favorite Mets blogs is Amazin’ Avenue. I mention them because today they’ve released their Amazin’ Avenue Annual 2010, which features 350 pages of Mets commentary, analysis, prospect coverage, and all kinds of other goodness. Best part: it’s free in PDF form (if you want a hardbound version you can pay them a little dough).

I shill this for two reasons: (1) I got a chance to peak at it before it was released, and it’s really, really good; and (2) internet baseball writers are doing the best work of anyone out there these days, and we should support the hell out of them.

Even the Mets ones.

1. BC - Mar 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM

It is much easier to hate a bad team than it is to root for a bad team. This is a tautology. I am living it each day. It is like the “Groundhog Day” movie except I don’t get Andie MacDowell.

2. Scott in MT - Mar 5, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I strongly agree internet wirters are doing the best work on baseball. Even if they don’t catch that they’ve written “peak” when they mean “peek.”

3. ditmars1929 - Mar 5, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Damn, the Mets piss me off. I’m a NYer and a Yankee fan, but as long as the Mets aren’t playing the Yankees, I want to support my hometown teams and see the Mets win. But it’s so hard to root for them because they are so unlikable. Since the ’80s they’ve had so many players that are just classless douchebags. Not that the Yankees haven’t had their share of those, but the Mets take things to a new level.
    Ah well.

4. Quentin Compson - Mar 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I don’t hate the Mutts! I don’t! I don’t! I don’t!

5. Flash - Mar 5, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Why do you hate the Mets?
    I am a Mets fan and the Mets are a terribly run franchise. Ownership doesn’t know a thing, our GM is a buffoon, and we underachieve in regularly spectacular fashion.
    But why hate?

6. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 5, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Just between you and me? I don’t hate the Mets, at least as that term is usually used.
    I’m a Braves fans and, while it’s not much of a rivalry, it’s about the closest things the Braves have. I used that as the basis for a couple of Mets-taunting posts a couple of years ago and got a stunning reaction from Mets fans who (a) thought I really did hate the Mets; and (b) were so over-the-top offended by it that it made me laugh heartily. Since then I have taken any opportunity I can to bait Mets fans. Even when, as I am now, I admit that I’m trying to bait them, they still get bent out of shape over it. It’s uncanny really.
    Truth be told? I like it when the Mets do well because it makes the NL East more interesting. In my heart of hearts I’m an NL guy too, so I’ll generally root for the Mets before any number of AL teams (I rooted for them in the 2000 WS; if they made the WS again I’d likely root for them too). The current Mets roster is actually full of many players I like too. To the extent I criticize their moves such criticism is totally legitimate and genuine in my mind, but of course people accuse me of simply hating when I do that. I let them accuse because, like I said, it’s fun.
    So, no, they’re not a team I much care for. But I don’t hate them any more than anyone else.

7. Joamiq - Mar 7, 2010 at 4:08 AM

So who exactly on the Mets right now is a “classless douchebag”?

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2989)