Mar 5, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
Random spring training hearsay is always fun. Here’s a good one from Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times:
Rays manager Joe Maddon said Yogi Berra told him Evan Longoria “reminds him of Joe DiMaggio a bit.”
Allowable because I’m not offering it for its truth — outside of some random film I’ve never seen DiMaggio play and thus can’t say if this is nuts or not — just offering it for the fact of its utterance.
Anyone with more knowledge of the smaller parts of DiMaggio’s legend care to opine? As far as Friday afternoon time killers it beats following the play-by-play of spring training games on Twitter.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)