Mar 5, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports that Braden Looper “is doing all he can to stay in shape at home near Chicago, waiting for an acceptable offer” from the Dodgers (or another team, in theory).
Los Angeles was linked to Looper throughout the offseason, particularly once their other starter targets like Joel Pineiro and Jon Garland signed elsewhere, but Gurnick notes that the Dodgers are still only willing to give the veteran right-hander a minor-league deal.
Not only is Looper holding out for a guaranteed contract, he reportedly turned down an offer from the Nationals last month. All of which takes a lot of … well, let’s say courage, from a 35-year-old who had a 5.22 ERA in 194.2 innings last season while serving up a league-high 39 homers.
Looper was a full-time reliever until 2007, and since then he has a 4.75 ERA in 97 starts. In other words he’s a 35-year-old fifth starter coming off a terrible season and the Dodgers are willing to pay him as such, but Looper wants more. Good luck. Right now the Dodgers have Eric Stults, Scott Elbert, James McDonald, Charlie Haeger, Ramon Ortiz, and Russ Ortiz competing for the final rotation spot.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)