Mike Cameron on Michael Jordan

Mar 5, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT

Jordan baseball.jpgAlex Speier has a nice feature today on Mike Cameron remembering his days in the White Sox system with a fellow by the name of Jordan.  File this under stuff I never realized at the time:

Cameron could see that Jordan still loved [basketball], loved talking trash to their on-court opponents. That, combined with Major League Baseball’s
efforts to convince Jordan to be a replacement player the following
spring, when the game was still in gridlock as a result of the strike
that had cancelled the World Series, pushed His Airness back to the NBA in the spring of 1995.

“I think if the strike hadn’t taken place, basketball may have been rewritten and baseball may have been rewritten,” said Cameron. “When they had the strike, they
asked him to play the games. He said, ‘I’m in a union, too.’ And he
left.

It’s sometimes startling to recall how cynical and, let’s face it, plain stupid the Lords of Baseball were back in those dark days. I mean, their whole farkakte labor strategy was bad enough, but the fact that they actually thought that (a) Michael Jordan would cross a picket line; and (b) his fame, but complete lack of major league baseball skills, would save their replacement player gambit shows just how demented they were.

1. Simon DelMonte - Mar 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Wrong blog to ponder this at, but that quote from MJ is the sort that has hoops fans pondering what the player-turned-owner will do when the current NBA CBA runs out.

2. Rays fan - Mar 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM

“It’s sometimes startling to recall how cynical and, let’s face it, plain stupid the Lords of Baseball were back in those dark days.”
    “Were?” Not competely convinced they deserve that as past tense.

3. Joey B - Mar 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM

“”Were?” Not competely convinced they deserve that as past tense.”
    Well, they virtually print money. They might not be quite as dense as some would make them out to be. IRT Jordan, he had no shot, but it is not like the media recognized this and pointed it out to anyone.

4. Steve Flack - Mar 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Luckily, when he left baseball, his super-secret-suspension in the NBA was over.

5. Joe - Mar 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM

His demonstrated leadership in the front office hasn’t produced anything. MJ go golfing, you were great don’t mess up you legacy any more than you have.

6. hop - Mar 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I can’t wait to see Cameron in the baston lineup, this guy strikeouts a LOT and its going to be great seeing all those strikeouts and his usual lousy batting average in that lineup. nice pickup theo

7. BTfromVT - Mar 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Cameron struck out less than Jason Bay with more AB’s

8. Peteinfla - Mar 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Exactly! And still is a great fielder, works pitchers, and has power. Plus, he has been considered a great teamate every where he has played. I hate the Red Sox, but think this was a great signing.

9. Phil - Mar 5, 2010 at 11:40 AM

He said, ‘I’m in a union, too.’ And he left.
    Love it! I realize these guys aren’t “working stiffs” but anybody anywhere that works for his bread at anything is a goddam fool if he expects management to take care of his best interests.

10. Omega in Colorado - Mar 5, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I hate Michael Jordan, I do, I don’t know why I do, but I sure do.
    However, “He said, ‘I’m in a union, too.’ And he left.” has earned my respect.

11. Aries - Mar 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Also interesting to point out that Terry Francona was MJ’s manager in the White Sox system.

12. Rays fan - Mar 5, 2010 at 3:31 PM

They (the owners) were virtually printing money before the strike too. I’m not saying that I think they are stupid people, but I am saying that how they handled the labor talks was stupid. I’ll also say I think they have handled labor situations around the CBA renewals pretty consistantly for the last 30 years. They’ve not done a good job forming anything other than an adversarial relationship with the union and totally misjudged the union’s resolve. At the same time, I’d say the very same things about the union too. Where I think using past tense might be a bit generous is that I do not believe either side has really learned anything because greed for money and power comes first. I will be surprised if a future work stoppage is allowed to kill a World Series, but I fully expect there to be more work stoppages in the future.

All the trade deadline news to know