Mar 5, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
Today’s practice was a costly one for the Indians, who lost both reliever Jason Grilli and outfield prospect Jordan Brown to leg injuries during the same workout.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that “Grilli’s leg was immobilized as he was taken off the field” after suffering the injury during an agility drill. He went for an MRI exam, with the results expected Sunday. He’s in camp on a minor-league deal, hoping to win a middle-relief job at age 33.
Brown suffered his knee injury while chasing down fly balls in the outfield and was taken off the field on a cart after talking to the Indians’ trainer for several minutes in the dugout. He’s competing for a bench gig after winning the International League batting title last season, but the 26-year-old former fourth-round pick was probably headed back to Triple-A regardless of the injury.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)