Quote of the Day II: Jon Heyman

Mar 5, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT

bengie molina homers. regardless, what were Mets thinking? this guy can play.

Jon Heyman tweeting after Bengie Molina hit a home run in the second game of spring training. Heyman is seemingly overlooking the fact that Molina is a career .276/.308/.418 hitter — coming off a worse year than that — and is on record as of this morning saying that he told the Mets that it was a two-year deal or nothing.

Heyman is a reporter. For all of the barbs I’ve thrown in his direction, I’ll freely admit that he does a good job when he sticks to reporting.  He is not an analyst, however, as this bit of wisdom and many many other examples illustrate.

1. Old Gator - Mar 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM

And after Hymen good naturedly alters the planform of your septum, you will, like Prince Fielder, respond to the obvious question with “you’re damned right it was worth it.”

2. Teabagger Vance - Mar 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Heyman is a complete and total Yankee tool. Mouth piece for the front office an arrogant fans. Takes any open shot he can at the Mets.

3. Joey B - Mar 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM

When I grew up, writers were writers. They reported on games, and on the teams. Occasionally, one would rise to the level of ‘commentator, for lack of a better word. Dick Young, for example. I don’t remember if writers even thought of themselves as analysts back then.
    Now I don’t think any of them think of themselves as writers, but as analysts. Most, the overwhelming majority, have no self-awareness. They actually think that four years in a journalism school qualifies them as BB analysts.
    It’s amazing how many variations I’ve of this-nurses quit their jobs to become daytraders, accountants thinking they could flip houses, kids thinking they can play poker in LV because it looked easy on TV. Now we have journalism majors thinking they can be GMs if given the chance.

4. True Grich - Mar 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Sometimes people tweet as if they were talking and having a natrual reaction to something. It’s a funny world we live in now where everything is put under a microscope. Sometimes people say things they don’t really mean literally – they just have a reaction… maybe that was the case for Heyman. I think you should cut him some slack.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Fair point, TG, and I do treat tweets in that vein most of the time, but I’m not willing to cut Heyman slack. He routinely uses twitter to break news, so it’s more than a mere conversation tool for him. More significantly, he doesn’t cut anyone else similar slack, especially internet writers who he blithely lumps together as “the blogs” and berates, both in writing and in private, for their lack of accuracy and analytical rigor.
    And even if all of that still has be being too hard on him (and it might), the general point about his analytical shortcomings stands.

6. Phil - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Heyman is clearly a member of the “whatever’s happening is the only thing that’s happening” school of thought as Stephen Colbert memorably referred to those denying the existence of climate change based on the recent East Coast snowstorms.

7. Charles Gates - Mar 5, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Which is exactly why I’m pro-global warming.

8. Jick - Mar 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Keep up the good fight, Craig. When someone’s as intellectually dishonest as Heyman is, he deserves whatever he gets.

9. scatterbrian - Mar 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Molina homered off a dude who mostly split between AA and AAA last year. This guy can play.

10. GimmeSomeSteel - Mar 6, 2010 at 1:19 AM

You’re in favor of the Earth getting warmer?

11. John C. - Mar 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM

More importantly, Heyman completely ignores the fact that…it’s a meaningless spring training game. I’m a Yankee fan- if I’m supposed to read into every single day of ST then- Joba pitched today. He struggled, so does that mean he’s going to the pen? But wait- his performance today WAS technically out of the pen since he didn’t come in until later in the game. So does that mean he failed as a reliever and should be a starter? Or does the fact that it’s spring training- the first week no less, mean that it’s all basically irrelevant? I’m leaning toward option three. Let’s see which the mainstream media like Heyman choose…

12. Old Gator - Mar 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM

That’s correct, he’s in favor of the earth getting warmer. Me too. And frankly, if you lived in Macondo, so would you be. It’s been down in the 60s and low to mid-70s all winter down here. Fark that. I’ve had to run my goddamned pool heater most of the winter – and we’re not even supposed to have winter. People are getting brained by torpid iguanas falling out of the trees some evenings. My papayas are ripening so slowly that I have to buy them at Publix if I want to make papaya creme for dessert, and the ones on my trees are only good for making Thai green papaya salad – and how many days a week can you eat enriched plutonium anyway? I’m buying Coco Lopez for my carambola coladas ’cause my coconuts are behind schedule as well. Fark that too. I’ve had to wear my “scared shitless” sweatshirt (the only clean one I own) most evenings this week, since I splattered my Bob Dobbs sweatshirt with papaya creme and cassis because one of those underripe papayas shattered my blender. I’ve even had to wear socks a few times. So if there is such a thing as global warming, it’s not doing me much more good than having the Democrats in control of both houses of congress and the White House is doing the rest of us. It’s really strange that when the Republicans were in control, we actually had global warming, but so what? What have they done for us lately?
    To hell with McMurdo station. Screw the penguins. Welcome the Tethys Sea back, Kansas City; think what beachfront property would do for your tax base. And stop asking me to feel sorry for the glaciers. Let’s have a steenking 80-degree day in March down here first. Then I’ll worry about the other stuff.

13. Richard Dansky - Mar 6, 2010 at 4:13 PM

“this guy can play”….
    Pinochle?
    Accordion?
    Settles of Catan on XBox Live?
    Surely, he doesn’t mean baseball.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3612)