What's the deal with spring training caps

Mar 5, 2010, 8:29 AM EDT

Teams wear strange and different caps for spring training than they do during the season.  I suppose it’s obvious why they do this — to sell caps to dorks like me who will actually buy them — but it’s rather startling to hear someone admit it. Here’s ESPN’s uniform dude, Paul Lukas:

Uni Watch posed that very question the other day to Todd Sokolowski, an
executive at cap manufacturer New Era, who turned out to be
refreshingly candid. “Truthfully, it’s mostly an opportunity for fans
to buy additional caps,” he said. “So the reason we keep changing the
design? Yeah, it’s for retail.”

Wow. I never actually thought they’d just come out and admit it. It’s a candor so refreshing that I may actually go out and buy a spring training cap.

1. Charles Gates - Mar 5, 2010 at 8:42 AM

You wore a Braves hat to a Mariners/Padres game? I mean, I respect the pride in your team, but isn’t that some sort of violation?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I wore it to a Dodgers-Blue Jays game the day before too. I represent when I’m out the world, bitches.

3. Matt in Toledo - Mar 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I almost always wear caps when I go to games and it being a Tigers cap isn’t going to be by the teams on the field.

4. Matt in Toledo - Mar 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM

“…isn’t going to be affected by the teams on the field.”

5. Old Gator - Mar 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

What’s the big deal? I wear Grateful Dead T-shirts to Hot Tuna concerts all the time. No one ever challenges me. I carry two fake cardboard defibrillator pads and they let me up near the stage because they think I’m the paramedic they keep on hand in case Jack or Jorma pass out and fall off their walkers. Yeah, a lot of that is because the relict boomers like me are high for the first time in a decade – spirit of the thing, you know? – and have forgotten how to handle it, so the shirt is the least of their concerns. Hyperglycemia is the most of it. Of course, there are no Hot Tuna shirts that I’m aware of anyway. Do I wear Gator T-shirts to University of Miami games? Always. Bafohngool, as they say. Do I feel threatened? Naaaah, I keep Friendo in my pocket, just in case. He buzzes once or twice and that’s all of it.

6. Birdman6824 - Mar 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3118)