Why Prince Fielder may sign early with the Brewers

Mar 5, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT

The fact that Boras — a dude who hardly ever has elite clients sign early — would talk to the Brewers about Prince Fielder two years before free agency was something of a head scratcher when we learned about it yesterday. But then I read Heyman’s column today (don’t think I enjoy it; I have to for professional reasons) and was reminded of a pretty darn salient fact I had forgotten:

The greatest positional class of free agents comes in two years, when star first basemen Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard, Adrian Gonzalez and Prince Fielder are all eligible for agency.

Boras can be really annoying, but he’s not stupid. I don’t think Pujols is a legitimate bluff for any 1B-courting team come 2011 — he’ll be a Cardinal for life by then — but there’s a really good chance that Howard and Gonzalez are on the market along with Fielder. Given how much better shape Howard is in now than he was a few years ago, I’m not certain that Fielder isn’t the third choice among those guys, even if he is (a) younger; and (b) the better hitter right now.

In light of that, locking Fielder up in Milwaukee two years before he hits the market may be a very Boras move after all: it’s the play that makes his guy the most money.

1. slanch - Mar 5, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I couldn’t agree more. Prince’s body is far more likely to break down than Howard and Gonzalez is a better fielder than if Prince and Ryan were playing together.
    My guess is that if Adrian gets traded that Scott uses that number as his starting point.
    Then again, Dayton could suddenly decide to spend $140m out of nowhere since they’re only a few pieces away now that they got Kendall locked down.

2. Big Harold - Mar 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Besides the strategy of avoiding his client being a FA at the same time several other very good FA 1B there could be another component. Perhaps he is looking to put Fielder back on the market at or around 30 not only by himself but during better economic times where he could get even a bigger contract that will take him up to retirement? In general that is risky and for Fielder’s body type more so but like you stated, is not stupid.
    Nor do I think he’s annoying. I’m not a fan of him but I don’t dislike him, or his tactics, either. He does for his clients exactly what they want of him, get them the best deal he can. To my knowledge he’s yet to break the law so what is the real complaint? He bamboozles GMs and owners into paying top dollar, and in some cases way too much, for his clients? Shame on the GMs and owners clearly as they are not up to the task And, why is it that the overwhelming majority of the anger is focused on the agent and not the player?
    Agents, like lawyers, are analogous to pit bulls. When they are yours you want them to be as big, mean, nasty and cunning as possible. When you’re on the business end of them you think they should be dragged out in the street and shot for the good of mankind.

3. Matt - Mar 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Prince is in much better shape than he was two years ago, and lets be honest; just cuz all 3 of these guys have slimmed down doesn’t mean they will stay slim.
    Also, there is nothing to suggest Prince has hit a plateau yet, whereas Howard seems to have hit his (obviously excellent) level.

4. themarksmith - Mar 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM

You also have to look at who will BUY the first basemen and how much they can spend. The Yankees have Teixeira. The Red Sox have Youkilis, and as much as people talk about him switching to third, do you really think he can do it at age 32? The Angels have Kendry Morales. The Tigers have paid Miguel Cabrera. So who wants to spend the money? The Mariners might. The Dodgers might. But the big spenders are all tapped out on paying first basemen. The Brewers are the only ones really invested in paying him.

5. JasonD - Mar 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM

If Prince leaves my Brewers I bet it is to the Mariners or Cubs. Seattle has the money and no star 1B. The Cubs have the money and Derrek Lee will be gone. All I can say as a Brewers fan if he leaves us, I hope it is Seattle. I don’t think I could handle seeing Prince in a Cubs uniform. I might die a little inside.

6. Eric - Mar 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Prince Fielder in Arizona would be very scary.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto