Mar 6, 2010, 7:34 PM EST
Giants catching prospect Buster Posey saw time at first base Saturday in the club’s spring game against the Royals, but the San Jose Mercury News’ Andrew Baggarly says it doesn’t mean much. Baggarly’s points:
-The Giants are way short on bodies in the infield because of
injuries. And they had to fill out split squads today.
-Posey isn’t taking grounders or logging innings at any other infield
position. He won’t have six gloves in his locker.
-He’s still a catcher. No doubt about it.
The Giants re-signed veteran backstop Bengie Molina to a one-year, $4.5 million contract this winter and will go with him as their primary starting catcher for a majority of the upcoming season. Posey, though, could see a good chunk of playing time behind the plate in the second half. The 22-year-old prospect batted .325/.416/.531 last season with 18 home runs and 80 RBI between Single-A San Jose and Triple-A Fresno. He’s likely to kick off the 2010 season back at Fresno.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)