Mar 6, 2010, 7:34 PM EST
Giants catching prospect Buster Posey saw time at first base Saturday in the club’s spring game against the Royals, but the San Jose Mercury News’ Andrew Baggarly says it doesn’t mean much. Baggarly’s points:
-The Giants are way short on bodies in the infield because of
injuries. And they had to fill out split squads today.
-Posey isn’t taking grounders or logging innings at any other infield
position. He won’t have six gloves in his locker.
-He’s still a catcher. No doubt about it.
The Giants re-signed veteran backstop Bengie Molina to a one-year, $4.5 million contract this winter and will go with him as their primary starting catcher for a majority of the upcoming season. Posey, though, could see a good chunk of playing time behind the plate in the second half. The 22-year-old prospect batted .325/.416/.531 last season with 18 home runs and 80 RBI between Single-A San Jose and Triple-A Fresno. He’s likely to kick off the 2010 season back at Fresno.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)