Mar 6, 2010, 7:34 PM EDT
Giants catching prospect Buster Posey saw time at first base Saturday in the club’s spring game against the Royals, but the San Jose Mercury News’ Andrew Baggarly says it doesn’t mean much. Baggarly’s points:
-The Giants are way short on bodies in the infield because of
injuries. And they had to fill out split squads today.
-Posey isn’t taking grounders or logging innings at any other infield
position. He won’t have six gloves in his locker.
-He’s still a catcher. No doubt about it.
The Giants re-signed veteran backstop Bengie Molina to a one-year, $4.5 million contract this winter and will go with him as their primary starting catcher for a majority of the upcoming season. Posey, though, could see a good chunk of playing time behind the plate in the second half. The 22-year-old prospect batted .325/.416/.531 last season with 18 home runs and 80 RBI between Single-A San Jose and Triple-A Fresno. He’s likely to kick off the 2010 season back at Fresno.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 0
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games