Mar 6, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
According to his agent Bart Hernandez, Cuban shortstop Adeiny
Hechavarria is now able to sign with any team. Jorge Arangure of
ESPN.com tweeted the news last night.
Hechavarria was temporarily blocked as the Office of Foreign Assets Committee verified his age, identity and
residency. Many scouts like the 21-year-old Hechavarria better than Jose Iglesias, who signed a four-year, $8.25 million contract with the Red Sox last
September. The pair played together on the Cuban National Junior Team.
We’re talking about a player who is still very raw, but the Yankees and Cubs are pushing hard to sign him. The Yankees are starting to consider life beyond Derek Jeter while the Cubs are already blessed with top-prospect Starlin Castro and 18-year-old Korean Hak-Ju Lee in their minor league system. But hey, you can never have enough talent.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)