Mar 6, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports has the details on Derek Lowe’s new delivery:
Lowe used to hunch over and keep his hands near his chest as he
turned into the balance position before striding toward the plate. Now
he brings his hands above his head and stays as tall as possible over
the rubber, increasing the downward plane of his pitches.
“When you are 6-6 you don’t want to pitch at 5-10,” he said, adding
glibly, “teach your kids that.”
Lowe’s new motion resembles that of a taller Greg Maddux,
his golfing buddy and former teammate with the Dodgers.
Lowe tossed two perfect innings in his spring debut against the Nationals on Friday.
The sinkerballer hopes the new motion will help him induce a few more groundballs. Last season, Lowe posted a career-low 56.3 percent groundball rate while opposing batters made contact a career-high 85.3 percent of the time. It all added up to a disappointing season in which Lowe finished 15-10 with a 4.67 ERA and 1.52 WHIP. After an offseason full of trade rumors, Lowe will get an opportunity change the conversation early. He was recently named as the club’s Opening Day starter against the Cubs.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)