Mar 6, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports has the details on Derek Lowe’s new delivery:
Lowe used to hunch over and keep his hands near his chest as he
turned into the balance position before striding toward the plate. Now
he brings his hands above his head and stays as tall as possible over
the rubber, increasing the downward plane of his pitches.
“When you are 6-6 you don’t want to pitch at 5-10,” he said, adding
glibly, “teach your kids that.”
Lowe’s new motion resembles that of a taller Greg Maddux,
his golfing buddy and former teammate with the Dodgers.
Lowe tossed two perfect innings in his spring debut against the Nationals on Friday.
The sinkerballer hopes the new motion will help him induce a few more groundballs. Last season, Lowe posted a career-low 56.3 percent groundball rate while opposing batters made contact a career-high 85.3 percent of the time. It all added up to a disappointing season in which Lowe finished 15-10 with a 4.67 ERA and 1.52 WHIP. After an offseason full of trade rumors, Lowe will get an opportunity change the conversation early. He was recently named as the club’s Opening Day starter against the Cubs.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 35
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 22
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm