Mar 6, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
It’s ridiculous. It’s absurd. But the Nationals are considering it. Here’s general manager Mike Rizzo:
“I think already he’s a leader of the club and kind of a pseudo-captain
already,” Rizzo said. “We’ve kicked around the premise of making
somebody the captain of the team, with a ‘C’ on their jersey. I haven’t
come to any conclusion. Zim, obviously, is the leader of the franchise.”
The whole idea of a captain is silly to begin with — and better reserved for the tradition of hockey, in my opinion — but for Rizzo to hedge about who the captain would be is just plain stupid. What, having a hard time deciding between Zimmerman and Alberto Gonzalez?
On a related note, Bill Ladson of MLB.com took an informal poll of his Twitter followers the other day when the idea was originally floated about. Out of 21 polled, 11 felt that Zimmerman deserved the honor, while nine felt he was too young or the Nationals didn’t need a special leader. One said it didn’t matter. Coincidentally, that person is also a genius.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead