Mar 6, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
That’s what Jesus Flores told Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider when asked if he’d be ready to appear in a game before the end of the spring.
Flores is currently rehabbing from offseason shoulder surgery and has only progressed to playing catch from 120 feet. As the Grapefruit League schedule begins, he’s understandably deflated:
“It’s really frustrating,” he said. “I wish I could play. But I have to
make sure I’m 100 percent first. I don’t want to play half the season
and then get injured again.”
Flores, 24, got off to a tremendous start last season, .311/.382/.522 with four home runs and 15 RBI over his first 90 at-bats, but suffered a stress fracture in his right shoulder in May. He tried to give it a go in September, but only had three at-bats before undergoing season-ending surgery on his labrum and elbow.
With Flores sidelined indefinitely, now we’ll get to find out if the Ivan Rodriguez signing was the head-scratcher everyone thought it was this winter. Sounds like it might be a while.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 162
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (162)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)