Mar 7, 2010, 10:08 AM EDT
Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that veteran third baseman Chipper Jones has a jammed right thumb and will sit out the next few spring games. For now, it doesn’t sound like anything to worry about.
Jones, who turns 38 in April, posted a relatively disappointing .264/.388/.430 batting line and 18 homers in 488 at-bats last season. He hit a career-best .364 in 2008.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)