Mar 7, 2010, 10:08 AM EDT
Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that veteran third baseman Chipper Jones has a jammed right thumb and will sit out the next few spring games. For now, it doesn’t sound like anything to worry about.
Jones, who turns 38 in April, posted a relatively disappointing .264/.388/.430 batting line and 18 homers in 488 at-bats last season. He hit a career-best .364 in 2008.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)