Ellsbury open to long-terms talks with Red Sox

Mar 7, 2010, 6:11 PM EDT

ellsbury high-five.JPGRed Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury told WEEI.com’s Alex Speier on Sunday that he is open to long-term contract negotiations with the Red Sox, but has not been approached yet.

“I’m going to play this year. When the Red Sox talk with my agent, I
guess that’s when that ball starts rolling. As a ballplayer, you don’t
want to get caught up in the numbers right now,” said Ellsbury. “I think
it’s fine [that there have been no long-term talks]. I’d like to get
one more year under my belt, but if they come with something tomorrow,
then it’s a totally different ballgame. But I’m not really worried about
that right now.”

Ellsbury, 26, boasts a .297/.350/.414 batting line over his first 1,294 major league at-bats and is under team control through 2013.  He hit .301/.355/.415 last season with eight homers, 60 RBI and 70 stolen bases in 153 games.  For what it’s worth, Scott Boras is his agent.

1. riscifiguy - Mar 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Dear Jacoby;
    Tek, A-rod, and Damon had Boras too.
    Be afraid, be very afraid…..
    Fire him and you’ll get a contract tomorrow.
    Spike him sliding into his office and we’ll give you a medal!

2. Shadow - Mar 8, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Jacoby, if you seriously want a contract with the Sawx, you will fire Boras. The guy’s a jackass, and will hinder any negotiations. We want you here.

3. Big Harold - Mar 8, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Personally I think Elsbury is more than a bit over rated but as a Yankee fan that would be expected. But, if he’s everything the Nation thinks he is he’d be crazy not keep Boras.
    It seems to me the thing everybody hates about Boras is that he will fight tooth and nail for his clients for the best contract possible. If I’m a player that is the guy I want representing me. And, I don’t care that he’s always talking about mysterious teams and offers that do or don’t materialize. That’s part and parcel of the negotiating process. It’s incumbent upon a teams front office to know what the player in question is worth to them and stick to that assessment. Also, it’s not like the people that deal with him are babes in the woods. He’s not selling used cars to to old people. The people he negotiates with are supposed to be baseball professionals. In many cases, as with Elsbury, they are discussing players that are already on the team. Who would know those players better? So whats the complaint? Baseball front office staff should be competent and know what they are talking about and know how to conduct themselves in a negotiation. If not, ..woes be to them.
    A player’s career is finite and always at risk but the teams they play for go on and on. As such, players should get themselves he very best representation available, explain their priorities and map out a strategy, then let the agent do his part. What happens in the clubhouse and on the field is baseball and everything else is business. It seems that some players and most fans don’t understand that concept.

4. Nasty Boy - Mar 8, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Finally, someone makes a bright statement. It would have to come from a Yankee fan. I wouldn’t worry about Ellsbury’s future, if Boston isn’t smart enough to sign him long term , there are plenty of teams that will. People got the wrong impression on the Damon situation,what hurt him was his age,and most of all his declining skills. He was scary with the glove, and he couldn’t throw a ball to the cutoff man. Big Harold is right on target with his statement. Players pay Boras to get them the most he can. Ellsbury is a much better item to sell than Damon.

5. sjp - Mar 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM

If Ellsbury can’t play a plus CF, he’s a below average ML player; he doesn’t hit enough to play a corner OF spot (plus he doesn’t have the arm for RF). Right now his bat plays at CF, SS, 2B, and C….if he can’t be solid defender at one of those positions, he isn’t an asset worthy of a long-term investment for a winning team.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3766)