Jeff Francoeur is learning

Mar 7, 2010, 11:51 AM EST

I’m at Mets camp in Port St. Lucie. And for all of the garbage I’ve spewed at that team in the past, everyone has been super duper nice to me so far. Almost makes me want to rethink how I write about them.  Almost.

Anyway, I’ll be checking in with real posts and stuff tomorrow, but I couldn’t wait to share this pic with you:

Francoeur Bay.JPGI’ve bashed Jeff Francoeur plenty in the past, but really, I can’t think of anything smarter for him to be doing than sitting quietly and watching Jason Bay take BP.  If 7% of what Bay is doing rubs off on Frenchie, he might actually be worth something this year.

1. Old Gator - Mar 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Yeah, they smile at you now, but from the camera angle it appears that you’re doing the wise thing and keeping them in front of you. Let them get behind you and then we’ll see what happens.
    Body language. We’re two old married guys so we tend to forget what that characteristic slump means. Francouer isn’t “watching Jason Bay take batting practice.” He’s daydreaming about last night’s strange.

2. YankeesfanLen - Mar 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Looks more like he’s ready for a golf cart race.
    Don’t let the Metropolitans smooze you too much Craig. Or enjoy the free drinks, in vino veritas, and you’ll be back to normal.

3. John Pileggi - Mar 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM

You’re in mid-season form.

4. Ray Steele - Mar 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Sorry, but French had the chance to learn from Chipper in ATL and didn’t bother. If I were a Mets fan, I wouldn’t be too optimistic unless he has at least three BB by the end of the first week of the season. Not being a Mets fan, though, I can count higher than three.

5. jabarbanol - Mar 9, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Last night’s strange? Last night’s strange? Jeff Francoeur is married to his high school sweetheart and is a faithful, clean living young man! My family has known his family for years and “last night’s strange” is foreign to him. It’s easy to sit back and say crude things about someone you know nothing about.
    If you’re a sports fan then talk about sports. Otherwise, keep your rude, crude comments to yourself!

6. jabarbanol - Mar 9, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Ray, you don’t have a clue as to whether or not Jeff Francoeur “bothered” to seek advise! How in the world would you know that he “didn’t bother.”
    He sought advise from Chipper, coaches, Terry Pendleton, who by the way didn’t seem that anxious to help him, all the way down to baseball coaches at Parkview High School, where he played! Once he stayed over at the high school field til 2 or 3 in the morning, seeking advise from the coaches. This comes from one of the coaches that was there.
    Jeff even sought advise from the Texas Rangers hitting coach.
    If you don’t have a clue what your talking about, then don’t say anything!

7. Old Gator - Mar 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM

And Ja Barbanol, being Ja, runs this blog, so we all better do exactly what it says.
    Guess what? There’s a sale on senses of humor over at Wal-Mart today, Ja. Quick – run down there and grab one while the supply lasts! Running the universe will be a lot harder on you without one.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4411)