Mar 7, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
UPDATE: Muskat says that Guzman is leaning toward having surgery on the shoulder, which would surely sideline the right-hander for most — if not all — of the 2010 season.
SATURDAY, 2:40pm: Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune confirms that shoulder surgery could be career-threatening. As such, Guzman is currently mulling his options. If he rehabs the injury, it would take anywhere from four-to-six weeks before even knowing if he’ll be able to pitch.
SATURDAY, 1:50 PM: Big blow to the Chicago bullpen. Carrie Muskat of MLB.com writes that Guzman has a torn ligament in his right shoulder. Obviously, he won’t be ready for Opening Day. Muskat writes that the Cubs haven’t decided whether he will have surgery. Interestingly, Gordon Wittenmeyer of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that surgery could be “career threatening.”
FRIDAY, 8:34 PM: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago passes along a quote from Lou Pinella regarding right-hander Angel Guzman, who underwent surgery on his left knee in early February, and more recently hit the shelf with a sore right shoulder:
“He comes into spring training and before you know it, first the knee
and after that it’s the shoulder,” Piniella said. “It seems like the
kid is jinxed…”
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune goes a step further, writing that Guzman “may be cooked” for 2010 with the injury. It sounds like speculation for now, but the Cubs are currently awaiting results of an MRI on the 28-year-old.
Guzman posted a a 2.95 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in 55 appearances last season. He was expected to be a critical bridge to closer Carlos Marmol. If Guzman is sidelined for any significant period of time, the Cubs may have to juggle some arms they were considering for their rotation (Sean Marshall and Jeff Samardzija, among others).
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)