Mar 7, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
UPDATE: Muskat says that Guzman is leaning toward having surgery on the shoulder, which would surely sideline the right-hander for most — if not all — of the 2010 season.
SATURDAY, 2:40pm: Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune confirms that shoulder surgery could be career-threatening. As such, Guzman is currently mulling his options. If he rehabs the injury, it would take anywhere from four-to-six weeks before even knowing if he’ll be able to pitch.
SATURDAY, 1:50 PM: Big blow to the Chicago bullpen. Carrie Muskat of MLB.com writes that Guzman has a torn ligament in his right shoulder. Obviously, he won’t be ready for Opening Day. Muskat writes that the Cubs haven’t decided whether he will have surgery. Interestingly, Gordon Wittenmeyer of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that surgery could be “career threatening.”
FRIDAY, 8:34 PM: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago passes along a quote from Lou Pinella regarding right-hander Angel Guzman, who underwent surgery on his left knee in early February, and more recently hit the shelf with a sore right shoulder:
“He comes into spring training and before you know it, first the knee
and after that it’s the shoulder,” Piniella said. “It seems like the
kid is jinxed…”
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune goes a step further, writing that Guzman “may be cooked” for 2010 with the injury. It sounds like speculation for now, but the Cubs are currently awaiting results of an MRI on the 28-year-old.
Guzman posted a a 2.95 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in 55 appearances last season. He was expected to be a critical bridge to closer Carlos Marmol. If Guzman is sidelined for any significant period of time, the Cubs may have to juggle some arms they were considering for their rotation (Sean Marshall and Jeff Samardzija, among others).
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)