Mar 7, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
UPDATE: Muskat says that Guzman is leaning toward having surgery on the shoulder, which would surely sideline the right-hander for most — if not all — of the 2010 season.
SATURDAY, 2:40pm: Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune confirms that shoulder surgery could be career-threatening. As such, Guzman is currently mulling his options. If he rehabs the injury, it would take anywhere from four-to-six weeks before even knowing if he’ll be able to pitch.
SATURDAY, 1:50 PM: Big blow to the Chicago bullpen. Carrie Muskat of MLB.com writes that Guzman has a torn ligament in his right shoulder. Obviously, he won’t be ready for Opening Day. Muskat writes that the Cubs haven’t decided whether he will have surgery. Interestingly, Gordon Wittenmeyer of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that surgery could be “career threatening.”
FRIDAY, 8:34 PM: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago passes along a quote from Lou Pinella regarding right-hander Angel Guzman, who underwent surgery on his left knee in early February, and more recently hit the shelf with a sore right shoulder:
“He comes into spring training and before you know it, first the knee
and after that it’s the shoulder,” Piniella said. “It seems like the
kid is jinxed…”
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune goes a step further, writing that Guzman “may be cooked” for 2010 with the injury. It sounds like speculation for now, but the Cubs are currently awaiting results of an MRI on the 28-year-old.
Guzman posted a a 2.95 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in 55 appearances last season. He was expected to be a critical bridge to closer Carlos Marmol. If Guzman is sidelined for any significant period of time, the Cubs may have to juggle some arms they were considering for their rotation (Sean Marshall and Jeff Samardzija, among others).
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)