Mar 7, 2010, 12:34 PM EST
UPDATE: Dodgers manager Joe Torre told Hernandez this afternoon that Martin is out four-to-six weeks. It’s highly doubtful that he will be recovered in time for Opening Day.
10:25am: Hernandez hears that Martin’s MRI showed a “little strain” in his lower abdominal area. He’s expected to sit out the next few spring games.
9:14am: Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dodgers catcher Russell Martin felt a “twinge” in his groin area Saturday and was taken to a local hospital for an MRI.
Dodgers manager Joe Torre insisted that the test was precautionary when he spoke to reporters yesterday, but there’s no way of truly knowing the severity of the injury until the MRI results are revealed (likely sometime this afternoon).
“Hopefully, it’s nothing more than [something] that will get better with
a little rest,” Torre said Saturday. “But we’ll see.”
Martin, 27, is in desperate need of a bounce-back year. He batted a measly .250/.352/.329 last season with seven home runs and just 11 stolen bases in 588 plate appearances. In 2008 he swiped 18 bases, and in 2007 he nabbed 21. The man is a .276/.368/.407 career hitter over four major league seasons.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (150)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)