Mar 7, 2010, 12:34 PM EDT
UPDATE: Dodgers manager Joe Torre told Hernandez this afternoon that Martin is out four-to-six weeks. It’s highly doubtful that he will be recovered in time for Opening Day.
10:25am: Hernandez hears that Martin’s MRI showed a “little strain” in his lower abdominal area. He’s expected to sit out the next few spring games.
9:14am: Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dodgers catcher Russell Martin felt a “twinge” in his groin area Saturday and was taken to a local hospital for an MRI.
Dodgers manager Joe Torre insisted that the test was precautionary when he spoke to reporters yesterday, but there’s no way of truly knowing the severity of the injury until the MRI results are revealed (likely sometime this afternoon).
“Hopefully, it’s nothing more than [something] that will get better with
a little rest,” Torre said Saturday. “But we’ll see.”
Martin, 27, is in desperate need of a bounce-back year. He batted a measly .250/.352/.329 last season with seven home runs and just 11 stolen bases in 588 plate appearances. In 2008 he swiped 18 bases, and in 2007 he nabbed 21. The man is a .276/.368/.407 career hitter over four major league seasons.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)