Mar 7, 2010, 12:34 PM EDT
UPDATE: Dodgers manager Joe Torre told Hernandez this afternoon that Martin is out four-to-six weeks. It’s highly doubtful that he will be recovered in time for Opening Day.
10:25am: Hernandez hears that Martin’s MRI showed a “little strain” in his lower abdominal area. He’s expected to sit out the next few spring games.
9:14am: Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dodgers catcher Russell Martin felt a “twinge” in his groin area Saturday and was taken to a local hospital for an MRI.
Dodgers manager Joe Torre insisted that the test was precautionary when he spoke to reporters yesterday, but there’s no way of truly knowing the severity of the injury until the MRI results are revealed (likely sometime this afternoon).
“Hopefully, it’s nothing more than [something] that will get better with
a little rest,” Torre said Saturday. “But we’ll see.”
Martin, 27, is in desperate need of a bounce-back year. He batted a measly .250/.352/.329 last season with seven home runs and just 11 stolen bases in 588 plate appearances. In 2008 he swiped 18 bases, and in 2007 he nabbed 21. The man is a .276/.368/.407 career hitter over four major league seasons.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)