Mar 7, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Maybin told MLB.com after the game that he believes the injury is minor:
“My legs have felt great all spring,” Maybin said. “I was working out my
lower body [in the offseason]. I felt fast all spring. Hopefully, it’s
just a day-to-day thing. I don’t think it was bad. I think I pulled up
in time when I hit the bag.”
3:32pm: MLB.com beat writer Joe Frisaro reports that Marlins outfielder Cameron Maybin left Sunday’s spring game against the Cardinals with a left groin strain.
Maybin pulled up lame while nearing home plate on a Donnie Murphy two-run double and headed straight for the clubhouse. Players are told to treat any hint of discomfort with extra caution during spring training, so it’s possible everything is fine. He’s likely to undergo tests this evening.
The 22-year-old is slated to start in center field for the Fish this season. He hit .250/.318/.409 last year with four homers, 13 RBI and one stolen base in 176 major league at-bats.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'