Mar 7, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
UPDATE: Maybin told MLB.com after the game that he believes the injury is minor:
“My legs have felt great all spring,” Maybin said. “I was working out my
lower body [in the offseason]. I felt fast all spring. Hopefully, it’s
just a day-to-day thing. I don’t think it was bad. I think I pulled up
in time when I hit the bag.”
3:32pm: MLB.com beat writer Joe Frisaro reports that Marlins outfielder Cameron Maybin left Sunday’s spring game against the Cardinals with a left groin strain.
Maybin pulled up lame while nearing home plate on a Donnie Murphy two-run double and headed straight for the clubhouse. Players are told to treat any hint of discomfort with extra caution during spring training, so it’s possible everything is fine. He’s likely to undergo tests this evening.
The 22-year-old is slated to start in center field for the Fish this season. He hit .250/.318/.409 last year with four homers, 13 RBI and one stolen base in 176 major league at-bats.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)