Mar 7, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Maybin told MLB.com after the game that he believes the injury is minor:
“My legs have felt great all spring,” Maybin said. “I was working out my
lower body [in the offseason]. I felt fast all spring. Hopefully, it’s
just a day-to-day thing. I don’t think it was bad. I think I pulled up
in time when I hit the bag.”
3:32pm: MLB.com beat writer Joe Frisaro reports that Marlins outfielder Cameron Maybin left Sunday’s spring game against the Cardinals with a left groin strain.
Maybin pulled up lame while nearing home plate on a Donnie Murphy two-run double and headed straight for the clubhouse. Players are told to treat any hint of discomfort with extra caution during spring training, so it’s possible everything is fine. He’s likely to undergo tests this evening.
The 22-year-old is slated to start in center field for the Fish this season. He hit .250/.318/.409 last year with four homers, 13 RBI and one stolen base in 176 major league at-bats.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)