Mar 7, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Maybin told MLB.com after the game that he believes the injury is minor:
“My legs have felt great all spring,” Maybin said. “I was working out my
lower body [in the offseason]. I felt fast all spring. Hopefully, it’s
just a day-to-day thing. I don’t think it was bad. I think I pulled up
in time when I hit the bag.”
3:32pm: MLB.com beat writer Joe Frisaro reports that Marlins outfielder Cameron Maybin left Sunday’s spring game against the Cardinals with a left groin strain.
Maybin pulled up lame while nearing home plate on a Donnie Murphy two-run double and headed straight for the clubhouse. Players are told to treat any hint of discomfort with extra caution during spring training, so it’s possible everything is fine. He’s likely to undergo tests this evening.
The 22-year-old is slated to start in center field for the Fish this season. He hit .250/.318/.409 last year with four homers, 13 RBI and one stolen base in 176 major league at-bats.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)