Mar 7, 2010, 8:54 AM EDT
Jason Marquis, 31, turned in an impressive 15-13 record, 4.04 ERA and 1.38 WHIP last season in 33 starts for the Rockies and set out in search of a lucrative free agent contract this winter. He made it known early on — in mid-November, in fact — that he wanted to play for the Mets, a team he grew up rooting for as a native of Long Island, New York.
“There’s definitely interest there,” Marquis said of the Mets five months ago. “We’ll see what direction they want to go.”
The Mets made some initial contact with Marquis, but never pursued an actual deal. The right-hander explained the situation Saturday while donning a Nationals uniform in Viera, Florida.
“I wanted to come home to New York to play in front of family and
friends — you’ve got people on your side,” he said. “Washington showed
aggressiveness. They wanted me. … I wasn’t expecting anything [from the Mets], [But] it was very
disappointing when we didn’t hear back from them.”
Perhaps Mets general manager Omar Minaya made the right move by holding off on Marquis. After all, he had an ugly 4.57 ERA and allowed 97 hits in 92 2/3 innings after the All-Star break last season and was left out of Colorado’s postseason rotation. Still, isn’t it odd that Minaya and Co. cut off contact so quickly? It’s not like the club is rolling out a bunch of sure-fire aces this year.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)