Mar 7, 2010, 2:36 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times confirms that the Rays and Blalock are sorting out a minor league contract, though Topkin adds that “Nothing is done yet.”
SATURDAY, 10:22pm: We’re well into the month of March, and yet free agent first baseman Hank Blalock remains unsigned. That could change soon.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Rays are in “serious talks” with Blalock. The 29-year-old posted an ugly .234/.277/.459 batting line last season, but still managed to smack 25 home runs. He would be a nice addition to Tampa Bay’s DH mix, which currently includes Pat Burrell and Willy Aybar. He could also provide insurance at first base behind Carlos Pena, who underwent surgery late last season for two broken fingers.
Blalock was reportedly offered a minor league contract from the Marlins several weeks ago.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 17
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 56
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 113
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (113)