Mar 7, 2010, 2:36 PM EST
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times confirms that the Rays and Blalock are sorting out a minor league contract, though Topkin adds that “Nothing is done yet.”
SATURDAY, 10:22pm: We’re well into the month of March, and yet free agent first baseman Hank Blalock remains unsigned. That could change soon.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Rays are in “serious talks” with Blalock. The 29-year-old posted an ugly .234/.277/.459 batting line last season, but still managed to smack 25 home runs. He would be a nice addition to Tampa Bay’s DH mix, which currently includes Pat Burrell and Willy Aybar. He could also provide insurance at first base behind Carlos Pena, who underwent surgery late last season for two broken fingers.
Blalock was reportedly offered a minor league contract from the Marlins several weeks ago.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)