Mar 7, 2010, 2:36 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times confirms that the Rays and Blalock are sorting out a minor league contract, though Topkin adds that “Nothing is done yet.”
SATURDAY, 10:22pm: We’re well into the month of March, and yet free agent first baseman Hank Blalock remains unsigned. That could change soon.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Rays are in “serious talks” with Blalock. The 29-year-old posted an ugly .234/.277/.459 batting line last season, but still managed to smack 25 home runs. He would be a nice addition to Tampa Bay’s DH mix, which currently includes Pat Burrell and Willy Aybar. He could also provide insurance at first base behind Carlos Pena, who underwent surgery late last season for two broken fingers.
Blalock was reportedly offered a minor league contract from the Marlins several weeks ago.
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 4
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 49
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 85
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (85)